Bulldog Four finger Jack American Pale ale.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking to bottle this kit in the next few days and wondering can someone tell me the correct amount of sugar to add for batch priming please??

The instructions just telling me 1 carbonation drop or tablespoon of sugar and no amount for batch priming..

If someone knows it would be great.. Thanks

I use this now: http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

2.0 volumes of CO2 about right for an APA.

Does about right work??? This is just my second brew and my first kit had the sugar already measured out so don't have a clue what amount to add..

I use the coopers carbonation drops, 1drop (tablet) is 3 gr for 33 cl , so it should be 9 gr a liter, that's 9 gram x 23 liter = 207 grams of sugar i guess ( i am from Belgium so you have to calculate into ounces) .. its like 207 x 0.035 ... so thats about 9.45 ounces for a 23 liter brew! Hopefully this helpt! Cheers!

See this is where my problem is, the priming calculator is telling me 104 grams of sugar and calculating it that way says over 200 grams of sugar, now I'm sure 100 grams of sugar is going to make a huge difference to the carbonation to my beer...

Can't seem to find the correct answer anywhere... :-(

See this is where my problem is, the priming calculator is telling me 104 grams of sugar and calculating it that way says over 200 grams of sugar, now I'm sure 100 grams of sugar is going to make a huge difference to the carbonation to my beer...

Can't seem to find the correct answer anywhere... :-(
Go with the calculator. 200 grams is way too much.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Go with the calculator. 200g is way too much.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Ok cool cheers I'll go with just over 100 grams, think it's silly they don't give you a measurement for batch priming when it seems to be the most common way to do it...

On the leaflet that came with mine it says 110g for kegging.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ok cool cheers I'll go with just over 100 grams, think it's silly they don't give you a measurement for batch priming when it seems to be the most common way to do it...
I bottled my Four Finger Jack about a month ago. Not sure how I arrived at the amount of priming sugar (probably something in the instructions?) but this is from my notes:

"About 2.5g sugar per 500ml bottle
For 22 litres (44 bottles) works out at 110g".

At that time I didn't know about the priming sugar calculator but clearly your plans for just over 100g seems fine.

It says add 150g for kegging but I'm not kegging and lucky I didn't go by that as it's 40g out for batch priming..

Thanks I'll go with 110g so..

Thanks for the replies very helpful..

Good thing, actually i looked at the coopers drop bag and it said it has 2.5gr of sugar intaste each tablet of 3 gr .. and thats dextrose not glucose or granulated sugar of course .. so i also think the 110 gr will be enough when using 100% pure priming sugar .. srry i tried to blow up your home :-D

Started this one on 10th of february.. added 250 gr light dry malt, 500 gr brewing sugar. I also used the yeast that came with the kit bud did boil the hops for 60 min. (Bittering @ +- 80 ibu) . Dry hopped today with 27gr cascade and 25 gr amarillo. Keep you updated! ;-)

I bottled my Four Finger Jack about a month ago. Not sure how I arrived at the amount of priming sugar (probably something in the instructions?) but this is from my notes:

"About 2.5g sugar per 500ml bottle
For 22 litres (44 bottles) works out at 110g".

At that time I didn't know about the priming sugar calculator but clearly your plans for just over 100g seems fine.
Just cracked open my first bottle of my Four Finger Jack - started fermenting on 1st Jan. Wonderful! Really pleased how well it has turned out. Lovely colour and taste. Nice gentle bubbling up the glass. It's a winner in my book. :thumb:

Great to hear that! Hopefully mine turns out to be that good!! Cheers! ;-)

I've currently got this fermenting. It's the fourth kit I've done (after Wherry, Evil Dog and Brewferm Gallia) and the notable thing about it so far is that after 3 weeks it still appears to be active! It will be interesting to see how low the gravity reading has gone when I get round to bottling.

I've had one in the fv for 15 days now and just dry hopped today. I used MJ M44 US West Coast yeast and it's gone from 1.050 to 1.004.

I was worried as I don't have any temp control and it was very hot and humid last week. I always put my fv in a builders trug in case of overflows, so I filled that with cold water and replaced every couple of days. It tastes OK from the sample jar so looks like it helped keep it cool.

I've currently got this fermenting. It's the fourth kit I've done (after Wherry, Evil Dog and Brewferm Gallia) and the notable thing about it so far is that after 3 weeks it still appears to be active! It will be interesting to see how low the gravity reading has gone when I get round to bottling.
Four Finger Jack is one of my favourites. Fermented back in January in my brew fridge. OG 1.052, FG 1.007 when bottled. Turned out really well.

Fermentation went very quiet after a few days, judging from the airlock. Transferred to secondary (clean FV) after 1 week and straight back into the brew fridge. Hydrometer read 1.014. Reading when adding hop tea bags two days before bottling was 1.009.

A really nice pint that I am still enjoying. Good luck, guys. :cheers:

Hi guys, very quick basic question for you hopefully, I'll be bottling this in the next couple days & I'm going to going carbonation drops. The kit says use one per bottle whereas the Munton's drops I've got say two per bottle, just checking if I put two in it won't be over carbed & cause any bombs?

I appreciate this only my 4th brew, but Bulldog 4 finger jack has been by far the best. I keged it rather than bottled it and it was extremely lively at first, just a matter of letting it settle in the glass and topping up a few times. Recomended.:cheers::thumb:

Just picked up 2 of these kits for £0.00 plus shipping. Apparently shipped. We'll see. But if they do arrive should I give them a dry hop boost?

Latest posts

Back