Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water > Mash & wort for yeast propogation

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 13-09-2017, 09:06 PM   #11
Fore

Liked 121 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyQul View Post
I've thought about doing this but I usually buy malt extract from holland & barrett and they often have a buy one get one free offer on so it's quite cheap to use that.
But tbh, I wonder if your over complicating things. The concentrated idea is a good one but worrying about mash temp and minerals, I'm not so sure. Mash temp - Depending on what yeast you use you probably don't need to worry about this too much unless your catering for a specific strain. Minerals - just add some yeast nutrient to the starter when you add the yeast.
OK cheers. Don't think they have a Holland & Barrett in France; it's a challenge to get hold of grain to be honest. But point noted, it doesn't need to be a brew store bought extract. I'll keep my eyes open.

About over complicating...just asking. Not really figured out yet whether these issues really matter or not.

But if you are going to do it, may as well plan and do it the best way with advice sought. For now, the over-production of a normal brew day mash seems the best idea. I think I once read that same idea somewhere (probably here), but then I already had my next brew water volumes & additions calculated and recorded, so delayed and then forgot the idea.
MiniKeg: AG Guinness
Fermenter: empty
Planned: Courage Directors...Paters...Boltmaker...Cherry wheat...Westmalle Tripel...Gale's Festival Mild...