Spapro's Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Syphoned the Blackberry Stout into a clean FV vessel last night leaving the blackberry mush/trub behind - this is definately more of a brown ale than a full blown stout based on colour.

The 2.2kg of blackberries added 4 gravity points of fermentation - after adding blackberries wort SG was at 1.014 - now down to 1.010 after blackberries been in 4 days.

Will leave it alone for another week and then bottle from there.

I did a blackberry stout last year. very nice it was as well:thumb:

Pleased yours turned out well Chub, first time I've added fruit to a brew so bit of a new adventure for me. Hope mine turns out good!

Bottled My Blackberry Oatmeal Stout on Sunday, photo below of the bottle, more like a brown ale with a pink/red tinch to it - nice colour really.

Also, the Mongrel Pale Ale from post #13 is now very drinkable, nice hoppy pale ale - very similar to the Campden Pale Ale I was drinking out on Saturday night - if anyone is looking for a Campden Pale Ale clone then give my Mongrel Pale Ale a try - you won't be disappointed.

Blackberry Oatmeal Stout bottled, I have done one PET bottle to send off to the November forum competition:

blackberry_bottled.jpg

That looks good, and as the judge for said competition I will look forward to tasting it :thumb:

That looks good, and as the judge for said competition I will look forward to tasting it :thumb:

Thanks AJ, I will contact you for your address by private message in November, first time I've done a berry addition so hope it works out OK, tasted a little tart/sharp before bottling but clearly this should mellow in time for November fingers crossed.

Did a Brewday on Sunday, went with a recipe based on the 'Oatmeal Extra Pale Ale' from James Mortons book 'Brew'.

Toned down the grain bill a bit and also used different hops from my freezer - used Mosaic, Simcoe and Willamette

Added a yeast starter built up from a St. Austell Proper Job bottle conditioned ale.

Anyway, its now got a really healthy creamy head to it so fermenting nicely - pic of me top cropping some yeast for future brews.

P1000498.JPG

P1000500.JPG

I quite like a lager but have found the couple of 'proper' lagers I have brewed a bit of a PITA - tie's up the brewfridge for weeks and weeks.

So decided to get a Kolsch on the go - SWMBO has been full of cold this weekend so she wanted a quiet weekend tucked up at home. So gave the chance of a brewday today.

Kept it quite simple, all went to plan:

Kolsch - 23litre Brew Length

5.1kg Pilsner Malt (95%)
270g Munich Malt (25 EBC) (5%)

60 minutes - 10g Columbia, 35g Liberty
15 minutes - 20g Liberty
1 minute - 45g Liberty

WLP029 Kolsch Yeast - made up into 1.3litre starter on stir plate.

Hit Starting Gravity of 1.049 for 23 litres
Pitched yeast at 18°C and will ferment out at this temp - maybe ramping up a degree or two after a week to finish off.

Always interesting trying a new yeast so looking forward to seeing how this turns out !

Latest posts

Back