How to build a stir plate for less than ten quid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started a thread on the similar subject (45-65L batches, 2L Euleymer flasks just not big enough). I'd given up with the idea of a demijohn and wondered if you could split a starter across two flasks/stirrers.

No suggestion you can't so it is the route I'll be taking (will swallow hard and close my eyes before ordering TWO 2L Euleymer flasks; and I've another stir plate to build now).

I'll be doing the same soon because you're right, a 2L flask just isn't big enough, especially if you are overbuilding starters.

I finally got round to building mine, housed in an old cigar box.

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

Very nice. You might want to put some kind of sealant or stain to protect the wood. I made my first one with would and for some reason the bar was thrown off and the starter went nuts and overflowed the flask. It ruined the wood. Just a heads up.

Lovely looking box @Budgie and good advice from JapanBrew, I've had a few starters overflow which is why I changed from a cardboard box to plastic.

Lovely looking box @Budgie and good advice from JapanBrew, I've had a few starters overflow which is why I changed from a cardboard box to plastic.

Me too. My new one is all plastic but the fan and wires are on the base. The cover I can wash and put back on.

I cant get a decent vortex going like the one in photo on first page. I have a large stir bar, 35mm so perhaps its too heavy. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure tbh, though I wonder would a smaller fan run quicker. I use a 95mm fan and it gets a decent vortex going. That being said, you don't really need much of a vortex, as long as you're getting a dimple in the surface it should be enough to keep the yeast in suspension.

afaik the ideal situation is to have the magnets a similar distance apart, as the length of the stir bar employed, that way the poles of the stir bar have the closest attraction possible to the magnets that drive its motion.

Cheers guys. @JapanBrew I hadn't thought of that. I've probably got some stain knocking about in the shed. :thumb:

You can just plonk the unit on a makeshift standoff in a flat bottom frying pan then lay a strip of clingfilm on top of it. Any overspill will run off the clingfilm into your pan.

I cant get a decent vortex going like the one in photo on first page. I have a large stir bar, 35mm so perhaps its too heavy. Any suggestions?

I use a 35mm bar no problem. I've cut a hole in my container and used magnets that are thick enough to be raised into the dimple in the base of the flask. It's only a couple of mm but makes it run a lot more stable.

Someone asked earlier about running a 5L demijohn, I reckon this method of raising the magnets up would work for one of those too. Depends on the shape of the dimple probably, on a flask the base is raised a bit but also flat so raising the magnets into it works fine, probably different if a container uses a convex base.

Finally using mine. I couldnt find a suitable box so i put some lego together on top of the fan. Works for now. First starter i made didn't seem to do much. I was thinking it wasn't working but i decanted it and added more wort and its going like the clappers. I bought a few packs of cheap yeast WLP0029 and WLP800 so its been really interesting watching it revive itself.
I was watching some videos of people making thee and i noticed some are using hard drive magnets. They seem a lot stronger and one used a 50 or 60mm sit bar and the thing was stuck to it like a rock. Made me think you could probably get away with a DJ if you use stronger magnets. One man only used 1 magnet and it worked. That was a curved HD one. Also the magnets seem to be far more powerful that the stir bars. I doubt they contain neodymium which is a shame as they would be far more efficient.
Going to build another one with flashing lights on!

I'm Stoll awaiting a speed control thingy. Second I've ordered and not arrived. [emoji17]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I ordered and received a 6-30v DC 8A max speed controller with digital display and I am trying to connect it to a 12v AC power supply to control a 12v DC pc fan with 4 wires.

However, when I connect the power supply to the speed controller, the power supply makes a buzzing sound and there is no respons from the display or fan?

I can run the fan with the power supply, by connecting the yellow (live) and black (earth) from the fan to the two wires of the power supply.

Do I need a DC power supply or am I missing something??

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but any help is appreciated

I ordered and received a 6-30v DC 8A max speed controller with digital display and I am trying to connect it to a 12v AC power supply to control a 12v DC pc fan with 4 wires.

However, when I connect the power supply to the speed controller, the power supply makes a buzzing sound and there is no respons from the display or fan?

I can run the fan with the power supply, by connecting the yellow (live) and black (earth) from the fan to the two wires of the power supply.

Do I need a DC power supply or am I missing something??

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but any help is appreciated

Maybe @foxbat will be able to help you, he's much more knowledgeable than me on this subject.

I couldnt find a suitable box . . .

Hi!
I know it's a couple of months since you posted, and I've already built my stir plate in a project box, but, as I was idly browsing around the supermarket I noticed that the "tins" of Heroes, Quality Street etc. are made of plastic. I wondered whether the lid would be strong enough to support a 2 or 3 litre starter?
Of course the problem then is: who's going to eat the sweeties? :whistle:

Latest posts

Back