Crossmyloof Real Ale Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
brewed a hob goblin style beer (my own recipe to a lower ABV)and used Crossmyloof real ale yeast. 48 hours and its down from 1.040 to 1.010 never seen yeast work so quick. I had a sneak taste and it is already drinkable if you were really short of beer but will leave a couple of days to see if it drops anymore but 1.010 is where its meant to be at
This looks a very good general yeast at less than £1 for 10grams
never been disappointed with their products or service - just ordered Mandarina Bavaria hops from them for a weekend brew use with confidence as I know a lot of members/posters have asked about them and no I am not in anyway affiliated to them just good old fashioned service and products at good prices
Thanks Pete

Hm, not bad. Good assortment of things 'n stuff. I'll keep them in mind for my next purchases. Too bad I can't find their own site, just their eBay shop.

Hm, not bad. Good assortment of things 'n stuff. I'll keep them in mind for my next purchases. Too bad I can't find their own site, just their eBay shop.

I find them on facebook then look at the list/table of hops etc and just email what you want they will then send you a paypal request and just pay it and provide your address cheaper than the ebay site

I checked the prices and they are indeed competitive! But MAJOR advantage is their "10/15/20/25g Tea Bag" hop portions. Ideal for mini-brewers! Can you give a description of what is meant by 'tea bag'? It's hopefully not REALLY a tea bag?

I checked the prices and they are indeed competitive! But MAJOR advantage is their "10/15/20/25g Tea Bag" hop portions. Ideal for mini-brewers! Can you give a description of what is meant by 'tea bag'? It's hopefully not REALLY a tea bag?

Hi I have used them before but not from them
they are a finishing hops in a tea bag type material so that you can just put them in your beer to add a dry hop to it very easy to use and a good way to add some depth to any brew especially can kits

And those tea bags are themselves packaged in light and oxygen proof material? I just imagined a pack of PG Tips but then of hops and I really like the idea of just dumping them through the hole but the thought of hops spoiling because of pitiful packaging makes me shudder.

I have used one before,not theirs. Personally wouldn't bother again.Would sooner chuck the hops into a hop bag or my tea ball:)

And those tea bags are themselves packaged in light and oxygen proof material? I just imagined a pack of PG Tips but then of hops and I really like the idea of just dumping them through the hole but the thought of hops spoiling because of pitiful packaging makes me shudder.

I would think they come foil packed like the hops just email them and I am sure they will confirm a good way to get into dry hopping but will never replace doing it yourself as you can mix and vary the amounts but ideal for kit users to experiment with

I would think they come foil packed like the hops just email them and I am sure they will confirm a good way to get into dry hopping but will never replace doing it yourself as you can mix and vary the amounts but ideal for kit users to experiment with

True, true, I probably would be tempted to do that anyway, unless I had recipes that asked for exactly those amounts.
But I LOVE the fact that I won't have to buy 100 grams just to use less than 10 grams of it. And the rest would be getting old, sad and lonely in the crisper.

True, true, I probably would be tempted to do that anyway, unless I had recipes that asked for exactly those amounts.
But I LOVE the fact that I won't have to buy 100 grams just to use less than 10 grams of it. And the rest would be getting old, sad and lonely in the crisper.

yeah thats why people use them to vary a normal drink but don't want to buy a larger amount of hops and all you need to do is open the pack and drop them in

The bags do indeed come foil packed. I used a 25g bag recently but TBH it was packed solid once it swelled up next time I'll use a tea ball like chub to ensure I'm getting full utilisation, you're right though that they're ideal when you want just a small amount, I get everything hops/yeast wise from them myself, the postage kills placing small orders anywhere else and the yeast prices are a giveaway as it is!

Yep my bipa looks done after 4 days....but look closer you may still see a few micro bubbles rising through the fv...a plastic fv is best for this...and a torch helps! I plan a dry hop for this but will leave until next week.

Make sure you give it plenty of time to finish.... The Wherry I did with 2 packets of CML Real Ale has JUST finished fermenting, I started it on the 4th with 2 packets... Like yours it went off like a rocket (had to fit a blow off tube as kept emptying the air lock then filling it with bubbles....), it just didn't want to stop...:lol:

Boy, does this yeast ferment fast. I dry pitched this into a bitter (at about 22C) and I noticed it begin to kick off after about 20 mins :shock:

I wonder if it includes a yeast nutrient? I'm almost certain Coopers do ,their yeast never fails and always goes off quick imo 👍
I must try this CML stuff!

I wonder if it includes a yeast nutrient? I'm almost certain Coopers do ,their yeast never fails and always goes off quick imo 👍
I must try this CML stuff!

Just checked the packets I have in the fridge, no mention of nutrient on them. The CML cider and mead yeasts include nutrient, and this is indicated on the packet, so I'd think they'd do the same with their beer yeasts too. I've tried 4 of their yeasts so far, all of them went off like rockets and kept on going for a decent time. Maybe just nice healthy yeast? Also could be because the instructions on the packets say to rehydrate before pitching, rather than just sprinkling it over the top.

Back