Thinking of starting again

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmaguy41

Landlord.
Reaction score
I gave up brewing a few years ago, I was quite an active member on the site and some of you may have benefitted from me selling my equipment at some point 😂. I've missed brewing terribly, the issue is I tend to get obsessed with my hobbies, I'm a powerlifter and previously I ended up brewing and drinking far too much (corny fridge in spare room) my question is, what would be your advice if I were start again to keep it chilled and control the amount I produce, also what equipment would you personally buy if starting out again and why. I've previously done everything from kits to full grain but mostly biab.

Much appreciated guys......go!

Well, you want to brew but not too much? Limit the equipment then. Nothing more than a gallon, 2 6-liter pans, and go on a semi-scientific journey in which you combine different grains, hops and yeasts. Find exotic recipes, build the best Dual-Hop-And-Malt-Extract combo, take interest in the proces and not the product.

Make it small scale, not industrial. And have fun :thumb:

Interesting, don't know if I could bringing myself to brew so small though haha. I used to brew 2 batches every 2 weeks, so was thinking frequency was more the issue really

if you are going to start again then do it like before then you know it will work out ok
I have all the equipment you will need up for sale have a look at my thread

if you are going to start again then do it like before then you know it will work out ok
I have all the equipment you will need up for sale have a look at my thread

That would be quite... making things right again. Bringing back the balance in the brewing world.
Some bard should make a song out of it :drunk:

If you ferment for three weeks and condition for a full two months. All of this will add time into the process and will mean that you won't stockpile loads of beer. If you just bottle then you can not drink for long periods and your beer will just get better. I only drink Friday night and Saturday or if I have I have a day off and I really look forward to and really enjoy my beers when I do drink. I loaded up the fridge tonight and can't wait for tomorrow night.

Yeh I was thinking this along with sharing some with my former brew buddy to cut batches in half

I've found alternating a dark beer or something else that needs a long condition with my hoppy brews helps.

I bottled my Xmas brew at the start of Feb and have allowed myself just a bottle a month to see how it has been developing.

That would be quite... making things right again. Bringing back the balance in the brewing world.
Some bard should make a song out of it :drunk:
look like i have become a song writer well now I have a new hobby
now I am not making beer now :lol::lol::grin:

I've found alternating a dark beer or something else that needs a long condition with my hoppy brews helps.

I bottled my Xmas brew at the start of Feb and have allowed myself just a bottle a month to see how it has been developing.

If it is the frequency that caught you out why not have a go at beers that will take ages. do lagers properly, they will take about 10 weeks or go even further, like strange-steve or like Wfr above give some long maturing beers a go.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=72990&highlight=eisbock

I would also keep the volume down to 10l batches which will mean you don't catch yourself up after a few months.

If you ferment for three weeks and condition for a full two months. All of this will add time into the process and will mean that you won't stockpile loads of beer. If you just bottle then you can not drink for long periods and your beer will just get better. I only drink Friday night and Saturday or if I have I have a day off and I really look forward to and really enjoy my beers when I do drink. I loaded up the fridge tonight and can't wait for tomorrow night.

same as. be surprised how quick they go still. a partial mash helps bump them up. and don't give many away :nono:

Only have 1 corny keg at a time... Or brew and place in bottles. Limit the amount of bottles you have and thus beer at anytime...

Tbh sounds like restrain is needed no matter what as you can always buy more gear to produce more :lol::lol:

This will probably sound a bit mad, but instead of brewing a big batch and drinking it before starting the next. I now brew weekly 1 gallon batches (6-7 bottles), trying different recipes every time and just brew big batches every now and then so there is something if I just fancy a drink. I prefer the brewing process as the hobby instead of the drinking.

+1

I did my east vs west end of jan. - and I have a great selection of dark ales and a saison for xmas. But i should also have a duval-ish beer ready as well just bottled that. :thumb:

Had a chat with my former brew buddy, he still has most of his brewing kit, so we are going to get together and knock out a biab at October half term ( he’s a teacher ) going to go for one of the hbc mash kits to keep it simple this time round

I would brew in 10 L batches, this would keep it down because you will have to have more brew days to kepe the volume up.. It also makes it easier to brew at that volume with equipment and what not

Had a chat with my former brew buddy, he still has most of his brewing kit, so we are going to get together and knock out a biab at October half term ( he’s a teacher ) going to go for one of the hbc mash kits to keep it simple this time round

Good choice. How long have the both of you been out of brewing? I can't imagine losing much of the knowhow and experience of brewing. After all: it's only cooking (okay, with an absurd amount of sanitation, a bit different then), what could go wrong?

Think it’s around 3/4 years now, I still remember everything I knew then (unless I’ve forgotten it.....) just wanted to take this time to get familiar with the process again, also his brew kit will need a good steam clean etc so time saved on weighing out grain etc is a bonus

Go for sours and wild brews. Up to three years conditioning and lots of fun with experimentation.

Back