alcotec vodka kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellowsface

Reaction score
Has anybody tried these kits? If so are they any good? I have bought one for the wife to drink 25 litres of 21% proof.
Just got to finish some jobs round the house and start it off.

Devils in the detail, mate ! Read the smallprint ,if you havent already that is ,and you may find that it says that results of "up to 21%ABV are possible " .

Well ,I say that ,but I havent looked at every kit on the market or yours specifically .The ones that I have looked at say that .If you look at the "turbo yeasts" that seem to mainly come out of scandanavia and australia they mostly have a similar caveat .

Having mouthed off like I actually know what I am talking about ,I cant see any reason why you SHOULDNT be able to achieve fine ,high ABV results if you do everything scrupulously .As long as it all goes to plan then its just a case of adding the flavouring and wah-hey ! I have never tried these kits myself but many years ago I DID make some high strength wines to be used as base for liqueurs. Back then there were quite a few flavourings for specific well known brands and some for spirit flavours too .One thing I remember (probably from an old CJJ Berry book - he was my mentor - well ,his books were!) was using capsicum tincture to give a "bite" that made them seem much stronger .I have looked for the tincture all over ,even asked chemists ,but it doesnt seem to be available in the UK anymore.

Having waffled on I havent really answered your question at all !But as you can see, I AM very interested in the subject ,so please keep us updated as to how it pans out......good luck ,mate ! :cheers:

shocks

I have just had a look at the kit, and it has a sachet of what it terms as super yeast, also it need racking off about 4 times each time adding something else, it has a charcoal sachet as well. Never seen one of those before, mind you i have never tried a spirit kit before, well a high alcahol content anyway should be interesting.

There are some videos on youtube about these turboyeasts and charcoal finings and so on.......but they are related to the subject that begins with "D" and ends with a prison sentence.....so I wont post a link ! ;)

i will be happy if i can get anywhere close to 20% so the d word is just a bridge too far so to speak, although they are selling those things over here, seems a bit dodgy to me, but who am i to judge?

FWIW "Capsicum tincture" is really CHILLI. Drop a chilli into your brew, taste regularly, and this will definitely add a bit of "something" to the taste. It will certainly make the finished product taste more alcoholic . :cheers:

Back