Chrysanthemum wine - make as Elderflower wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shearclass

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi

I am shortly going to have access to a lot of chrysanthemum petals, and was wondering if anyone can point me to a recipe?

Should i just make it to CJJ Berry's Elderflower wine recipe?

500ml flowers
250g raisins or 140 ml gj concentrate
1.5kg sugar (may use a little less than this for a dry wine)
3 lemons
tanin

I have heard about chrysanthemums being slightly toxic to a few people, but as the chinese drink it as part of an annual national celebration, it can;t be that bad. Not like I'm going to be chewing through a chrysanthemum stalk, I'll just be using the petals.

Amazing. :shock:

Nice one Rob :thumb:

Respect, shearclass, let us know how it turns out.

Seems like you need more petals for Chrys wine than Elderflower wine.

My granda is a dedicated Chrysanthemum grower, but is quite ill at the moment and this is likely to be the last year he does them, or certainly the last year he produces this many. I will be getting the petals from the flowers that he decides not to take to show.

I think I'll make the most of it and do 2 gallons.

Given that alcohol itself is toxic, compounding that with chrysanthemum, listed in Berry as 'doubtful', it's probably not on the Chief Medical Adviser's list of healthy things to consume on a regular basis. But then sufficient doses of cannabis to kill an elephant might cause schitzophrenia in humans and Lsd induces permananent psychosis turned out to be the delusions of the reactionary ignorant establishment. We English dumped opium on the Chinese to mentally enslave them, so why not payback time with chrysantemum wine! Love to hear how your project progresses.

Latest posts

Back