on the rocks raspberry and lime SG?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Regular.
Reaction score
So yesterday I started this kit and followed the instructions to the T but the SG was only 1.034? The kit says approx ABV will be 5.9% but this does seem a little low to me.
Has anyone else done this kit and what SG/FG did you get?

Do cider kits have a lower SG and FG than beer kits in general?

Thank you in advance for your help guys - newbie in distress...:thumb:

Hi - if you did indeed follow the instructions exactly, then you will get what was promised on the tin.

Cider (and wine) will ferment down to 1.000 or less, so, yes, the SG and FG will be higher than for beer.

The wort from barley grains contains sugars that are not fermentable and hence the final gravity of a light beer will be maybe 1.006 and for a heavier beer, maybe 1.012.

As a rule, an all grain beer will be 70-75% fermentable sugars, whereas cane, beet and maize derived sugars ferment out almost 100%.

"Brewing sugar" or dextrose is just maize derived sugar.

Ethanol has a lower specific gravity than water.

To answer you actual concern, I suspect that there may be more fermentable sugar towards the bottom of the FV you are using. I would strongly advise not fretting and leaving it alone to get on with it.
:hat:

Gravity so far is 0.100... only been in 7 days but has been in an 18 degrees c room. I will leave this for another week I think... will keep you updated...

Gravity still at 1.000 started ferment on 21st of june so has had 11 days. Should I stir it to get the yeast working again? This only gives me about 4.5%...

After 15 days finished on 0.998 so only 4.46% abv. Very disappointed tbh. Done the blueberry one that started at 1.038 so lets see what that does...

As Slid said above, it's probably just that the contents of the FV weren't fully mixed when you took your initial sample, so your starting gravity looked lower than it actually was. If you added the whole contents of the tin, plus the amount of sugar it said, and topped up the FV to 23 litres, and it all fermented out (which it sounds like it did), you're on target for about 5.9%.

I've got a blueberry On the Rocks in my bucket at the moment. I did all the above and gave it a good mix and got an SG of 1.040. If it finishes at 0.996 that'll give me 5.9%.

As Slid said above, it's probably just that the contents of the FV weren't fully mixed when you took your initial sample, so your starting gravity looked lower than it actually was. If you added the whole contents of the tin, plus the amount of sugar it said, and topped up the FV to 23 litres, and it all fermented out (which it sounds like it did), you're on target for about 5.9%.

I've got a blueberry On the Rocks in my bucket at the moment. I did all the above and gave it a good mix and got an SG of 1.040. If it finishes at 0.996 that'll give me 5.9%.

Ill be honest ill be happy with anything over 5 percent so yhe proof will be in the drinking... have you done OTR cider before? Whats the conditioning period on them?

Not done an OTR before, no - I found an out-of-date one half-price in my LHBS. Only cider I've done previously is the Magnum Elderflower, which tasted perfectly fine after a couple of weeks in the bottle, maybe getting a little smoother after another month or so.

I'll be bottling my OTR next week, so let's compare tasting notes!

Not done an OTR before, no - I found an out-of-date one half-price in my LHBS. Only cider I've done previously is the Magnum Elderflower, which tasted perfectly fine after a couple of weeks in the bottle, maybe getting a little smoother after another month or so.

I'll be bottling my OTR next week, so let's compare tasting notes!

Good idea. My blueberry went in the fv on sunday but s&l went in bottles on sunday after 2 weeks so good call... I like cider but wanted to brew something that swmbo would drink as she hates ale (no taste obviously) lol

Ok so raspberry and lime cider is now more than drinkable. In fact it's going down quite well. I put the blueberry half in bottles and half in a keg. I will update upon a first taste...

That's great to hear! I bottled my blueberry on Wednesday. The sample/dregs tasted very promising - much more like proper cider than the Magnum kit I did (which I think is based on grape juice) - though I have to say I slightly preferred it before adding the blueberry flavouring sachet to after.

That's great to hear! I bottled my blueberry on Wednesday. The sample/dregs tasted very promising - much more like proper cider than the Magnum kit I did (which I think is based on grape juice) - though I have to say I slightly preferred it before adding the blueberry flavouring sachet to after.

Ok so its been bottled/kegged for a week. It tastes nice much sweeter the the r&l but it did take about 3 weeks for the flavour sachet taste to really break through in that kit. Its definitely drinkable but tastes more like a dry cider and black atm. Will update further in a week...

Latest posts

Back