Getting a sweeter wine, backsweeten or stop fermentation early ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Morning folks...

I made a WOW recently (rgj/pink grapefruit), that I sweetened after fermentation had completed down to 0.990. This worked fine, although got me thinking...

Would an alternative means of getting to the same result (same abv) have been to start with a higher sg (more sugar), say around 1.100 and use wine stopper/stabiliser at 1.010 ?

Is stopping fermentatio predictable enough to lock in the unfermented sugar at the end ?

thoughts?

You could do this but it doesn't give the yeast time to clean up after itself, this can result in your wine giving you a headache or worse that and bad guts.

I rack and stabilize my wows around the 1004 mark as my missus likes it more medium sweet and not dry, no I'll effects either.

That's good to know, I have always left mine for two weeks for fermentation to get to a one bubble every minute or so then a week for the yeast to do its thing, i won't worry in future if stocks are low and i clear one after two weeks.

good to know indeed, I was interested in the prospect of stopping wine early but didn't fancy the chance of getting a dose of the Gary's

Might try that with my next one

I rack and stabilize my wows around the 1004 mark as my missus likes it more medium sweet and not dry, no I'll effects either.
Hi Frogbrew

Do you find that the stabiliser stops the ferment immediately or still carries on for a few more sg points

eg have you tested the sg after stabilisation to see if it's the same as just before racking ?

Just trying to get a feel for where to stop a wine ☺

Hi Frogbrew

Do you find that the stabiliser stops the ferment immediately or still carries on for a few more sg points

eg have you tested the sg after stabilisation to see if it's the same as just before racking ?

Just trying to get a feel for where to stop a wine ☺

To be honest I haven't tested the fg after stabilising but the airlock stops after an hour or so.

Latest posts

Back