Elderflower wine - bitter taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will-o-the-wisp

Reaction score
I have an elderflower wine that was made about in mid-june and this is the recipe used;

5 kg sugar (2kg brown)
-3 litre elder flower
-1.5kg sultanas
-2.5 litres WGJ

- 5 lemons and rind
- 5 oranges and rind
- 2 cups black tea
-pectolase
-Yeast nutrient (zylatol 4 teaspoon)
-Yeast (GV5)

It fermented on the flowers for a few day then strained and racked as normal. It has been in the secondary for 2 months now and was hoping for it to be ready next month but it has a bitter taste to it, like the pith of an orange or lemon but I was very careful not to include and with bits when adding the lemon and orange rind.

It does small very yeasty still and it could be still fermenting, albeit ever so slowly.

What do you think has caused this and do you think it could mellow over time?

To avoid a bitter taste you have to be very selective when picking elderflowers. They must look and smell good. The flowers should be removed within 24 hours and no stems should go into the wine.

I was very careful to remove stems and the flowers were good quality when I picked them. I have no idea what the problem could be only that I may have used too many flowers at 3 litres for 5 gallons. Will age it for a few months and see how it tastes.

Glycerine, that is a good idea! I do have some left over from when I used it on a another wine a couple of years ago. I will wait for the wine to clear at least but how much glycerine would you recommend for 5 gallons?

Glycerine, that is a good idea! I do have some left over from when I used it on a another wine a couple of years ago. I will wait for the wine to clear at least but how much glycerine would you recommend for 5 gallons?

I use it at 1 teaspoon per gallon.

That would be a minimum amount and teaspoons vary in capacity so I use a 5 ml measuring spoon instead. I find that 5 ml of glycerine per gallon is insignificant in effect. 20 ml would be a maximum but it has a detectable sweetening effect. I rarely use the stuff these days because I tend to mature wine in oak barrels, producing a smooth finish. I also encourage a malolactic fermentation by using non sterile ingredients and avoiding sulphites. This also has a smoothing effect. If you don't have a barrel, you can mature the wine with oak chips in 5 litre PET bottles to get some of the effect.

I find that 5 ml of glycerine per gallon is insignificant in effect.

I have never tried it with no Glycerine, it was in the original WOW recipe so i just carried on using 1 teaspoon for all the different juice wines i have made.

Latest posts

Back