Canadian Blonde

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coupe3234

Reaction score
Hi all
thought I'd try and brew a slightly strong but tasty lager type beer for those warm days we'll be getting soon....Aye right...!!!
Took a can of Cooper's Canadian Blonde and mixed in a kilo of Brew Enhancer 1 and a kilo of brewing sugar, then added a sachet of Safale 04 to get the mix going. Went off fast as it usually does with the Safale yeast and now after 7 days all has went quiet. Will keep it in bucket for another week or more just to make sure it's all done. O.G. was 1050 and hoping to get it down to around 1012 or thereabouts. Will update in about 5 weeks.:smile:

If you do this again, I wouldn't use S0-04 as lagers are "clean" tasting beer and S-04 isn't a clean yeast. If I was you to make a (pseudo) lager using the blonde kit I'd either use US-05 or Nottingham yeast and ferment as cool as you can. Another alternative would be to use MJ californian lager yeast. This is a yeast that you ferment at ale temps but mimic's the clean flavours you get from lager strains http://mangrovejacks.com/collections/craft-series-yeasts/products/californian-lager-m54-yeast-10g.

If you don't have a lagering fridge put as many bottles in your domestic fridge (not the door) as mrs coupe will allow and leave them there for 4 weeks. I promise you, you will be impressed

Thanks for the reply MyQul. Will definitely try some of your suggestions next time. This time was just a tryout, did expect a very aley type lager but here's hoping it will still be very drinkable.

Back