Sweet Turbo Cider Recipes Please?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning on giving this a go for my 1st turbo cider. I can't find any of the strawberry Lowicz in any supermarket or European shops near me. I was thinking about subsituting for 'Princes' canned straweberries in syrup blended up with to make the same quantity of the 3 bottles of Lowicz. Assuming this would work this way...? May be worth a try if I can't find any better.

INGREDIENTS
Strawberries, Water, Sugar, Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid

I'm planning on giving this a go for my 1st turbo cider. I can't find any of the strawberry Lowicz in any supermarket or European shops near me. I was thinking about subsituting for 'Princes' canned straweberries in syrup blended up with to make the same quantity of the 3 bottles of Lowicz. Assuming this would work this way...? May be worth a try if I can't find any better.

INGREDIENTS
Strawberries, Water, Sugar, Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid

I believe the main reason for the popularity of Lowicz is its sugar content, ideal for the yeast, and its totally free of preservatives and added rubbish, meaning there is no need to boil it and potentially ruin the flavour.

So I imagine you can use anything as long as it mixes nicely in apple juice or water and is free from preservatives.

I ended up choosing the raspberry Lowicz in the end. but I'm pretty sure we all drink our creations when finished, regardless of their taste haha

I have used the Lowicz raspberry and also did a 5 litre mixed berry turbo with 1/2 bottle of that, 1/2 bottle of blueberry syrup from IKEA and 1/4 bottle chokeberry syrup from Tesco, came out at 8% or thereabouts:thumb:
IKEA also do a Lingonberry,Elderflower and Rhubarb syrup

I make 2 DJ's of sweet fruity Turbo Ciders, one with Robinson's strawberry and Kiwi barley fruit squash and one with Lowicz raspberry, when they are finished fermenting I will combine them together before priming and bottling to end up with a nice sweet n fruity raspberry, strawberry and Kiwi cider, I can only just make it quick enough to keep up with the missus!

3L apple juice (Tesco value)
1L Robinson's strawberry and Kiwi barley fruit squash
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectolase
water to shoulder of DJ
Cider yeast

3L apple juice (Tesco value)
1 440ml bottle of Lowicz raspberry syrup
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectolase
water to shoulder of DJ
Cider yeast

Thanks for the recipe ideas, Im going to give this a try next week. Im new to brewing, I have made a few alcoholic ginger beers and have my first beer kit brew going now.

For the TC Im curious why you boil the lime squash. Is this to remove the preservatives? Im assuming if this was missed the preservatives could kill the yeast?

Also, I saw a good thread about pasteurising cider, I used this method successfully for the ginger beer, do you do this with your cider? I leave the bottles in water at about 85C for 10 mins to kill off the yeast.

As Im living in Bucharest at the moment I need to replace alot of the ingredients with alternatives available here so need to understand the reasoning behind everything. I found a good pasteurised syrup in different flavours which should work perfectly, I will need to check the other ingredients.

Thanks again for any help.

Hi all, ,I have just started the Strawberry and lime off and found that my hydrometer has smashed. I have followed the recipe exactly as on page one, can anyone tell me what their starting gravity was please?

We're lucky, our nearby Lidl has Lowicz syrups, in the raspberry, cherry and strawberry.

So far we've used some cherry for cider. We made 23 litres of "standard" turbo cider (using Crossmyloof cider yeast, and it's yummy), then used some Lowicz cherry syrup to prime 6 litres. We also tested some out immediately naturally, sweetening a bit more using liquid sucralose, as too much cherry syrup gets a bit cloying. Utterly delicious, and as sweet or dry as you want it as using sucralose to back sweeten to taste. We worked out how much to use to prime by basically working out how many grammes of sugar per litre the normal recipe calls for, then calculating how much by volume of the cherry syrup we needed to provide the same amount of sugar. :thumb:

Got some raspberry and strawberry syrups to try out next. I've promised our oldest daughter some strawberry and lime cider once her baby has been born too. :D

It might be worth pointing out that you can actually buy Cider Yeast with built in Sweetener, its available in 2 forms, Medium and Sweet. I think the cost is around �£1.45 and contains enough to ferment 23 litres of Cider. I used to buy this from a Homebrew Shop, I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link to it unless a moderator says so. :thumb:

It might be worth pointing out that you can actually buy Cider Yeast with built in Sweetener, its available in 2 forms, Medium and Sweet. I think the cost is around ��£1.45 and contains enough to ferment 23 litres of Cider. I used to buy this from a Homebrew Shop, I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link to it unless a moderator says so. :thumb:
Just Google "The Copper Kettle" :thumb:

If you like kopparberg try this
21 litres apple juice
3 440ml bottles of Lowics strawberry
1 750ml bottle tesco double strength lime squash
Mangrove jack cider yeast

Used this for my first ever TC last night. Scaled down to 5litres, already had to clean out the airlock a few times this morning (despite my concern that the utility room is a bit cool)

I'll add a photo in a min...

12 hours in...

P_20171008_132817.jpg

It might be worth pointing out that you can actually buy Cider Yeast with built in Sweetener, its available in 2 forms, Medium and Sweet. I think the cost is around �£1.45 and contains enough to ferment 23 litres of Cider. I used to buy this from a Homebrew Shop, I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link to it unless a moderator says so. :thumb:

2nd that - I use cider yeast with sweetener. I buy it from eBay - works a treat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used this for my first ever TC last night. Scaled down to 5litres, already had to clean out the airlock a few times this morning (despite my concern that the utility room is a bit cool)

I'll add a photo in a min...
And the (almost) finished product...

(Forgot to mention - used Cherry Lowicz in this one; just started a Raspberry one using CheapBrew's recipe :drink:)
Bottled it today. How long do I need to wait now?:hmm:

P_20171023_170801.jpg

Looking good matey

I would give it 2 weeks in a warm room to carb up then chill and sample

They'll benefit from a month or so in the bottle although you can drink them sooner

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
And the (almost) finished product...

(Forgot to mention - used Cherry Lowicz in this one; just started a Raspberry one using CheapBrew's recipe :drink:)

Bottled it today. How long do I need to wait now?:hmm:

Nice labels ! I do like a bite of the cherry [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having got the Cherry TC bottled, I started off a Raspberry TC on Monday and have just nipped to Lidl, bought a bottle of strawberry Lowicz and some AJ and set that off. Must remember to do a stock-take on empty bottles :hmm:

21 litres apple juice
Put the lime in a pan and bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
Put the strawberry syrup in the fv and rinse out the bottles with some apple juice.
Put the rest of the apple juice in and add the lime.
Add the yeast and leave until it's fermented.
Put into 2nd fv.
Fill a half pint glass while you're doing this and batch prime the rest with 150g of sugar.
With the half pint add half a teaspoon of sweetener and taste, repeater until sweet enough.
Then times the sweetener by 80 and add to cider and bottle.
It should end up around 9% abv

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Do you need to add the sweetener to it

21 litres apple juice
Put the strawberry syrup in the fv and rinse out the bottles with some apple juice.
Put into 2nd fv.
Fill a half pint glass while you're doing this and batch prime the rest with 150g of sugar.
With the half pint add half a teaspoon of sweetener and taste, repeater until sweet enough.

Why won't this be sweet enough without the sweerner

21 litres apple juice
Put into 2nd fv.

Do you need to use the sweetener or is it ok without

Just bottled 41 pints of Evolram’s recipe. The only difference was that I used a yeast with sweetener and I’ve primed with more of the strawberry syrup. It tastes really good at this stage so can’t wait to try it again after it’s conditioned a while in the bottle......if it lasts that long

Back