• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Hop plants /rhizomez

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pabloxprt

Reaction score
Gentlemen as you know spring is on the way and I've been looking for a good place to get hop rhizomes from. I am mostly interested in aroma american varieties. Is there any place you would recommend?
Cheers and happy brewing

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

That's a good selection. The problem with newer hop varieties is that they are all owned and protected.

I get my rhizomes from Willingham Nurseries, and this year I bought a Centennial which I've not seen on sale before. They also do cascade. I don't know if htey do it but at some other places I've also seen Willamette and Cluster.

I started a rhizome swap thread but it was a bit early, might be time to start it up again as we approach spring. Someone might have a cascade rhizome to swap http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67138

Thanks guys. I will have some Lublin hop rhizomes for swap next spring as the plants haven't developed anything yet. I need to learn how to take rhizomez from a healthy 3 year old plant. Need to look into it as i haven't done anything like that before. Once I have some i will let everyone know. Thanks again

I get my rhizomes from Willingham Nurseries, and this year I bought a Centennial which I've not seen on sale before. They also do cascade. I don't know if htey do it but at some other places I've also seen Willamette and Cluster.

I started a rhizome swap thread but it was a bit early, might be time to start it up again as we approach spring. Someone might have a cascade rhizome to swap http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67138
I bought a rhizome from Willingham Nurseries in kent, yet the rhizome came from East Anglia. Also they don't send out plants till a heavy frost has made them dormant. Mines planted so its wait and see now

Gentlemen as you know spring is on the way and I've been looking for a good place to get hop rhizomes from. I am mostly interested in aroma american varieties. Is there any place you would recommend?
Cheers and happy brewing

Try these people, they've got loads of foreign hops http://www.essentiallyhops.co.uk

I bought a rhizome from Willingham Nurseries in kent, yet the rhizome came from East Anglia. Also they don't send out plants till a heavy frost has made them dormant. Mines planted so its wait and see now

Sorry, I made a mistake, I get my hops from Essentially Hops, not Willingham Nurseries. I think it was Willingham Nurseries where the owner sold the business a couple of years ago, someone must have bought it because they are still operating.

My rhizomes are doing very well, got good crops off them last year.

I don't think it will make much of a difference if the rhizome comes from East Anglia. Hops are very resilient plants and I managed to get a couple to grow on the west coast of Ireland in a forest area (although no flowers appeared). Plant with compost and make sure they have enough space - 4ft X 4ft - and get plenty of sunlight and water during the summer.

Slightly off theme and forum but how do you growers train the hops? I have bought Prima Donna(Dwarf Variety) and Cascade from Willingham.

I am thinking a "Maypole" set up, a centre pole with six ropes and the plants in a circle around it.

What do you growers think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

training is possible but when running horizontally the growth looses steam and will concentrate at the highest point. ive been trying to train over an arch for a few yers now with limited success, tlast year the arch collapsed with the hop mass while the end trained along the fence for 2-3m was light in hops by comparrison.

i have seen the idea of running cord off a short 2m pole thru an eye at the pole top which allows you to drop the string by a meter or so when the bines grow to the top which you can repeat as often as necessary while its growing for a maximum crop. they can grow 6-7m up ;)

unless you used a drop string the maypole could result in a huge mass of mixed hops growing on the pole top tho. ok if you like hop surprise brews, but a pits if you want to differentiate between varieties

training is possible but when running horizontally the growth looses steam and will concentrate at the highest point. ive been trying to train over an arch for a few yers now with limited success, tlast year the arch collapsed with the hop mass while the end trained along the fence for 2-3m was light in hops by comparrison.

i have seen the idea of running cord off a short 2m pole thru an eye at the pole top which allows you to drop the string by a meter or so when the bines grow to the top which you can repeat as often as necessary while its growing for a maximum crop. they can grow 6-7m up ;)

unless you used a drop string the maypole could result in a huge mass of mixed hops growing on the pole top tho. ok if you like hop surprise brews, but a pits if you want to differentiate between varieties

Thanks for that, my thinking is that Prima Donna being a dwarf and suggested to grow up to three metres. If I have a four metre pole only the Cascade will reach the top, I could then leave a drop string for those two plants?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indoors? Cannot grow outside due to the wind we get up here. However, just got two cascade rhizomes. Going to try to grow them in our conservatory in 12" terracotta pots. Plenty home made compost for them and got NPK (6/3/10) tomato feed for a weekly boost when they are growing hard. Going to back seed with nasturtiums to keep the aphids away. Fingers crossed!

Indoors? Cannot grow outside due to the wind we get up here. However, just got two cascade rhizomes. Going to try to grow them in our conservatory in 12" terracotta pots. Plenty home made compost for them and got NPK (6/3/10) tomato feed for a weekly boost when they are growing hard. Going to back seed with nasturtiums to keep the aphids away. Fingers crossed!

Have you got a big conservatory? You'll need one in year 3 onwards. Interesting idea though, if it's a bit to wet & windy where you are. Pity you haven't got a sheltered, sunny spot outside against the house. They'd love to grow up a drainpipe.

Advice needed please!

We have a bit of land in Brittany in France.

It's a long thin strip of land that lies virtually North/South. The area is warm and sunny in summer but really wet and cloudy in winter.

We will be going over in April and I would like to take four rhizomes to plant, so a number of questions:

1. Can the rhizomes be planted successfully in April?

2. Will hops thrive in this environment; and if so which hop varieties are best suited?

3. Should the rhizomes be planted in direct sunlight?

4. Do hops thrive in nutrient rich soils? (i.e. with compost spread around the roots.)

5. Finally, how long does it take for Essentially Hops to deliver and how soon thereafter do the rhizomes have to be planted?

Living in hope as usual. :whistle:

poor sandy soils with good drainage are best afaik, tho ive managed to keep a couple of plants alive in heavy clay soil (the type you pick up by the kilo by your feet and come up on a fork in 20kg clumps), if planting after the frosts have finished i dont think rhizomes will flower ??

if its a punt it may be better cheaper to try and bring cuttings on for planting and establishing before the winter?

If they do thrive, dont harvest by chopping down for the first few years pick the hops off the bines leaving the leaves to feed the roots for a few more weeks and only chop back when they die.

poor sandy soils with good drainage are best afaik, tho ive managed to keep a couple of plants alive in heavy clay soil (the type you pick up by the kilo by your feet and come up on a fork in 20kg clumps), if planting after the frosts have finished i dont think rhizomes will flower ??

if its a punt it may be better cheaper to try and bring cuttings on for planting and establishing before the winter?

If they do thrive, dont harvest by chopping down for the first few years pick the hops off the bines leaving the leaves to feed the roots for a few more weeks and only chop back when they die.

Fairly thick soil, drains well (plenty of loam in it) but very fertile.

We are only on site April-June then September-November so hops seemed to be an ideal crop for us when compared to putting in some fruit trees.

The site is pretty remote and well protected so we hoped that the local kids (and possibly the adults) wouldn't recognise the hops for what they were; and therefore wouldn't consider picking them! :lol: :lol:

Advice needed please!

We have a bit of land in Brittany in France.

It's a long thin strip of land that lies virtually North/South. The area is warm and sunny in summer but really wet and cloudy in winter.

We will be going over in April and I would like to take four rhizomes to plant, so a number of questions:

1. Can the rhizomes be planted successfully in April?

2. Will hops thrive in this environment; and if so which hop varieties are best suited?

3. Should the rhizomes be planted in direct sunlight?

4. Do hops thrive in nutrient rich soils? (i.e. with compost spread around the roots.)

5. Finally, how long does it take for Essentially Hops to deliver and how soon thereafter do the rhizomes have to be planted?

Living in hope as usual. :whistle:
If you're driving to France via Dover, you could collect your rhizomes from Essentially Hops on the way past in Canterbury. They're already planted in pots, so take 'em with you, they'll be in the ground the next day..... (or maybe the day after).
I bought one last year in April (a Phoenix) it was already shooting in the pot, took it home, transfered it to a bigger pot and it grew and bloomed.
If you think that's a plan, you should call them beforehand with your requirements so they're ready.
It's not far from me, I could take you there if you like...!

Latest posts

Back