• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Hop plants /rhizomez

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're driving to France via Dover, you could collect your rhizomes from Essentially Hops on the way past in Canterbury. They're already planted in pots, so take 'em with you, they'll be in the ground the next day..... (or maybe the day after).
I bought one last year in April (a Phoenix) it was already shooting in the pot, took it home, transfered it to a bigger pot and it grew and bloomed.
If you think that's a plan, you should call them beforehand with your requirements so they're ready.
It's not far from me, I could take you there if you like...!

Many thanks, but we are already booked on the Portsmouth > St Malo overnight ferry. (I did check and via Canterbury nearly doubles the mileage.)

I've sent Essentially Hops an email asking for their advice and I've even got permission from SWMBO to plant them if they are viable. (This was after she saw how much a 100g of hops was costing me!) :whistle:

Thanks again for the offer. :thumb:

after watching one too many Customs tv progs It may be expedient to check out if hop plants/ are ok to take with you? would be a shame to loose them due to a technicality and you just may need to order with the french address for delivery or from a french or mainland eu nursery/distributer.

Many thanks, but we are already booked on the Portsmouth > St Malo overnight ferry. (I did check and via Canterbury nearly doubles the mileage.)

I've sent Essentially Hops an email asking for their advice and I've even got permission from SWMBO to plant them if they are viable. (This was after she saw how much a 100g of hops was costing me!) :whistle:

Thanks again for the offer. :thumb:
You're welcome. I like your style regarding the SWMBO factor. Always present them with an alternative scenario that costs much more than what you actually want to do. :thumb::thumb: We could all learn a lot from you Dutto. :thumb::thumb:

after watching one too many Customs tv progs It may be expedient to check out if hop plants/ are ok to take with you? would be a shame to loose them due to a technicality and you just may need to order with the french address for delivery or from a french or mainland eu nursery/distributer.

That's a good point Fil :thumb:

After reading the above, I did a bit more research and it looks as if I will be okay as Essentially Hops say on their site that they can deliver overseas, which presumably includes the EU.

However, using the "just in case" principle, I have also sent an email to the relevant UK government organisation here ...

[email protected]

... and asked their advice about transporting hop rhizomes from the UK to France.

Here's hoping that things fall into place before we leave! :thumb:

After reading the above, I did a bit more research and it looks as if I will be okay as Essentially Hops say on their site that they can deliver overseas, which presumably includes the EU.

However, using the "just in case" principle, I have also sent an email to the relevant UK government organisation here ...

[email protected]

... and asked their advice about transporting hop rhizomes from the UK to France.

Here's hoping that things fall into place before we leave! :thumb:

As neither outfit got back to me i presume that one obviously doesn't need my business and he other has probably succumbed to the current "austerity measures"!

I will research Hop Plant Suppliers in France when I get there and see if A) They exist. and B) They want my business! :thumb: :thumb:

Drove past a hop garden this morning and noticed they were already out the ground and growing. So, you might need to get a shift on ordering your rhizomes or you'll be too late for this year. Especially if you're waiting until you get to France...:hat:

(Just thought I'd throw that one in there...) :-?

Someone who lives with me sprays everything that's not grass with Round-Up ... :doh:

... and there will be no confession of guilt if the hop plant dies from herbicide poisoning! :grin:

Once planted, its only protection is if SWMBO knows that it will save oodles of money if it lives! :thumb:

My Prima Donna dwarf hop rhizome arrived today and she (with a name like Prima Donna it has to be a "she"!) is currently outside braving the elements ready to go to France where it's just that bit warmer and sunnier!

Many thanks for the heads-up on The Hopshop! Lots of information and a prompt and friendly service makes it easy to do business with them. :thumb:

Now all I have to do is to get my Prima Donna to France, get her planted in her permanent home, protect her against all the ailments that can befall a hop plant and in only eighteen months (:whistle:) I may be able to use the flowers in my brew!

Here's hoping!! :thumb:

My Prima Donna dwarf hop rhizome arrived today and she (with a name like Prima Donna it has to be a "she"!) is currently outside braving the elements ready to go to France where it's just that bit warmer and sunnier!

Many thanks for the heads-up on The Hopshop! Lots of information and a prompt and friendly service makes it easy to do business with them. :thumb:

Now all I have to do is to get my Prima Donna to France, get her planted in her permanent home, protect her against all the ailments that can befall a hop plant and in only eighteen months (:whistle:) I may be able to use the flowers in my brew!

Here's hoping!! :thumb:
Ive got the Prima donna as well.The shoots are about 3inches tall already. It will be interesting to see how many hops are produced...fingers crossed!

Ive got the Prima donna as well.The shoots are about 3inches tall already. It will be interesting to see how many hops are produced...fingers crossed!

My Prima Donna and Cascade have been placed in their final positions after being heeled in since November.

I have mine round a "Maypole" with six ropes going to the top of a four metre hop pole.

How are you chaps growing yours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At the moment it is in a fairly large plastic pot for transport to France.

Plan "A" (i.e. if no-one tells me NOT to do it) is:

o Dig a hole to just fit the pot.

o Saw the bottom of the pot off so that the compost and rhizome is retained in the pot.

o Bury the pot and water it in, but leave about 100mm sitting proud of the surface.

I'm hoping that this will protect the plant against being accidentally strimmed and also act as a "Do Not Spray" indicator when SWMBO is patrolling the perimeter of the garden with her Round-Up spray. :whistle:

The planned location is against a south facing "Sheep Fence" that gets all of the available sun but it is also at the bottom of a slope to ensure that the plant gets adequate water as well.

I intend to train the vines up and along the Sheep Fence (it's a seven strand one x 1200mm high) and if the plant "takes" (and Brexit doesn't completely screw up our visits to France) I will plant more hop rhizomes on either side next year using the same method.

Hope springs eternal eh? :thumb:

It's my chosen method anyway. Google it and there are some pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Planted a Fuggle this year in early January, it's up about a foot now, just when the weather's turned cold. I'm thinking about getting some straw to protect it, but..... I don't want to make it too cozy, if I do, the crazy little bugger'll just keep on growing. :doh:

The Phoenix I planted last year seems much more reluctant to show herself. :-?

I have got a Fuggle and a Progress in pots at the moment. I figured I could bring them in if there was risk of a frost. The Fuggle is about 9 inches high and the progress hasn't even started yet. This will be interesting for me, as I have no idea what I'm doing....

Latest posts

Back