White stuff on sloes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verni

Reaction score
I've never made sloe gin before and am worried that it looks a little strange. The sloes were put in the freezer overnight to break their skin and have been in the gin for about 3 months now. The gin looks fine and tastes ok, I just find the white stuff on the berries a bit off-putting. Anyone seen this before? Is it still ok to use?

Thanks!

P1040781 copy.jpg

From what I can tell it looks like that is just the ruptured skin of the sloes where it is pealing back and revealing the fruit inside.

3 months is a bit of a long time to leave your sloes in. I usually leave them in 6 weeks max. I'd guess somethings going on inside the sloes and its pushing flesh out through skin ruptures. The gin should still be ok though as it'd kill anything nasty.

Hi, the almondy flavour is actually in the seed inside so the longer they soak the better! I use damsons to make wine then when the flesh drops off at the end I drop the stones in some whisky for a 'few' months, tiny amount of sugar to taste It's loverly!! sloes soak for about 4+ months at least (Or you can cheat and use almond flav**ring)! PS yes they are poisonous but you need to eat a hell of a lot off them and probably ground up as well, so as to get at the bad bit! PPS As for the white stuff the alcohol will kill any nasties anyway!

Back