Making Twin Turbo cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deltabrew

Reaction score
I am thinking of making some high alcohol Turbo cider (using Alcotec turbo yeast). I've never done it before and want to research it before ruining 22 litres
of apple juice. Does anyone know where I can read up on such a thing?

I really don't know what to expect, will it be undrinkable?

I was thinking of using a standard turbo cider recipe, but using the turbo yeast instead of normal and adding maybe 6kg of cane sugar.

The packet is for 22 litres, I'm pondering about halving it and just doing about 10 (or two different brews at once perhaps) given I am in 'unchartered territory' for me anyhow.

Any pointers gratefully received!

Using lavin ec1118 you can achieve 16% with out much trouble, at a push you may get it to 18%

Thanks for the replies, it's not looking good is it?!
However I've already bought the yeast so will maybe give it a go, will report back in due course if I do.......

cant you use the tubo yeast to make a vodka? or base spirit

scaff

If you use apple juice the turbo yeast will overpower the flavour. If you filter it it will lose the apple flavour.
Anything made with turbo yeast needs filtering, it's a bit rough otherwise :)

Thanks for your advice (which I will take) I think i'll use it to make some base spirit instead.

I seriously wouldn't want to drink a cider that strong I made turbo cider recently with apple juice, raspberry and red grape juice to 5.5 gallon two pots of honey 1.2 kg of brewing sugar and a big saucepan of black tea using around 20 tea bags to replace tannin's, its just below 10% abv and it has a nice tangy flavour and carbonated well using 2 drops per 500ml, its definitely not a session drink few too many and you know about it anything stronger actually scares me the good thing is you seem not to get a hangover maybe its because you wake up drunk lol next time I make it maybe just add the tea and a pot of good quality honey, each to there own but I prefer a drink where you can have a least a few without getting legless, I will stick to the ales an lager for now definitely won't be making turbo cider strong again

Latest posts

Back