Cleaning and sterilising

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_rawdin

Regular.
Reaction score
I think this question may have already been answered on here but what is the best thing to use to clean and sterilise your brewing equipment? I've just ordered my ingredients so I can start my first batch in my new kit.

I think this question may have already been answered on here but what is the best thing to use to clean and sterilise your brewing equipment? I've just ordered my ingredients so I can start my first batch in my new kit.
I am yet to do my first brew but starsan was recommended to me as a good sanitiser. Looking at the content on the net it certainly seems an easy to use non rinse solution. As for a cleaner I've picked up Oxy clean (the name may be slightly different to that) from wilco. It's odourless and a lot cheaper than the options I found at tesco. I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable members will be along soon to answer your questions as well.

I use Oxyclean as both a cleaner and for germ killing. It contains Sodium Percarbonate which breaks down into hydrogen peroxide in water. Hydrogen peroxide is a non chlorine bleach http://www.brighthub.com/environment/green-living/articles/22911.aspx . I put four scoops with about 15-20 litres of water in my Fermenting bin chuck in any items I might be using give it a swirl to make sure everything is coated and leave it for 15 minutes and then I rinse with normal tap water. Never had a problem with infections.

Someone recommended peracetic acid, has anyone got any experience using that? Looks like you don't need to rinse it afterwards either.

It's what a lot of breweries use. It's no rinse, but is particularly nasty to skin and game over of it gets in your eyes. I wouldn't want it around the house.

I use super markets own baby bottle tablets. Cost peanuts from the supermarket.
Although i'm researching chlorine granules at the moment, as i have about 5kg of the stuff for the hot tub.

mmmm, hot tub mash tun, now there's an idea.

I use a variety of things,household bleach for plastic FV,s and kegs Milton babby bottle steriliser for general stuff like airlocks funnels and my syringe and oxyclean for the cornie because of the danger of pitting with the bleach.been meaning to go over completely to starsan when I get around to ordering some and I will

I use VWP for cleaning/sanitation at the end of brew/bottling day. This includes mash tun, boiler, FV.and any other sundries. All of these are well rinsed with cold water and then thoroughly dried before being put away for next time.
On brew/bottling day I simply spray stuff with Starsan solution to sanitise.

I find it is important to make sure everything is dry before storage to prevent mould. I also do not seal any vessels to reduce possible condensation internally, openings are covered with blue paper roll to prevent creepy crawlies getting in.

Used to use caustic soda to get rid of the carbon build up in my Suzuki GT250 exhausts.

As the caution says - As with all Cleaners and sterilisers Precautions must be taken. Read the instructions, Wear rubber gloves in some cases thick heavy duty rubber gloves, wear eye protection, and don't spill them on any surface you may want to keep looking nice. And most importantly Keep out of reach of children!

After playing around with various cleaners & sterilisers, all I now use is the cheapest household bleach I can find (not the thick stuff). Cheaper than chips, does all I want, and I've never had a problem (well, not one where I wasn't totally to blame......:oops:)
Yes, you do have to be careful about rinsing, but then I think I'd rinse anyway! The thing about rinsing is that you don't need as much water as you might think. Several small dilutions work a lot better than one big one.
I wouldn't like to leave strong bleach in contact with plastic for long, though, I reckon it could get absorbed & affect things down the line

Latest posts

Back