oops, mini disaster !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redron

Regular.
Reaction score
Quick check on my three newly primed (2 wks) pb's up on the mezzanine to 'test' finds a large pool of beer on the floor ! Seems the one with the Exe valley Autumn Glory clone has leaked from the tap. Approx 2 litres over the laminate floor, good job the missus is out... Quick mop up and then a good clean of my arm and then plunged into the keg to tighten the plastic nut which was ever so slightly loose. Thing is, the pressure in the barrel was such that it would find any weaknesses in the system, and it did !

Note to self, or others...

Do not add too much sugar to prime, I have a habit of 'just adding a bit more' just in case, typically 100g instead of 85, and do some basic bloody maintenance now and then :doh:
Anyway, I had to have a taste after the wee drama. It is absolutely lovely, still a bit cloudy as it should be after two weeks, but creamy and bitter and hoppy and a tight head that sticks to the glass right to the bottom. It's a good job I am going away for xmas otherwise it would be in danger of being consumed before it should be !
It reminds me why I like to put my beer into a PB rather than bottles.
In fact it is a candidate for the recent thread of 'this years favourite beer' :thumb:

I once did a primary in an old boots PB as I'd run out of buckets and assumed the little spring loaded valve would do an OK job as an air lock.

Krausen explosion and a photo message from the missus of krausen sprayed up the living room wall captioned "Is it supposed to do this?"

That's not too much sugar not as much as I put in my pb anyway, I put 800g in mine don't know where my head was lol. But it's clearing now one week left now hope it doesn't affect the taste too much definitely some good pressure there though it's been hissing out of the s30 valve so let's see lol!!

Latest posts

Back