Worst commercial beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an ever increasing list of beers I avoid. Before I give that list its worth pointing out I don't like really hoppy beers this current trend for APA's and overhopped craft beers does mean that I find a lot of beers I don't like. But I'll keep this list to beers a genuinely think are **** not ones I just don't like. So here goes.

Carling
Heineken
Doom bar
Atlantic
Black sheep which is everywhere here
Deuchers IPA
Tetley
TT landlord
Most tom woods beers
Most Bateman's beers except for xxxb
Jennings Cumberland literally tastes of spicy sausage

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
I'm the complete opposite with these beers, I don't like them one bit, but wouldn't say they're ****. There's a lot of skill and science needed to brew with such consistency, and is usually a POS issue if not up to catch. Which is rare, that's why people find so much comfort in their bland reliability. The worse commercial beers are the ones that leave the brewery in a faulty or substandard manner. Sadly, my experience is that it's the small scale, traditional micro-breweries that are often guilty of this.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I'm the complete opposite with these beers, I don't like them one bit, but wouldn't say they're ****. There's a lot of skill and science needed to brew with such consistency, and is usually a POS issue if not up to catch. Which is rare, that's why people find so much comfort in their bland reliability. The worse commercial beers are the ones that leave the brewery in a faulty or substandard manner. Sadly, my experience is that it's the small scale, traditional micro-breweries that are often guilty of this.

The impression I got from this thread was to highlight those beers that don't respect the real ale drinker and just flood the market with a sub standard product that people have to drink because its the only option. John smiths for me is a prime example. Now don't get me wrong john smiths is a brilliant example of chemical engineering. For it to taste exactly the same form keg, cask, bottle or can is pure genius and if your a fan of john smiths that's brilliant for you. But what it doesn't encourage is people to try something different. Something they may like that but cos they're goto generic beers on tap they ignore the guest beers regardless of whether its like john smiths or not. The big example her locally is there are a large number of pubs that serve. John smiths or Worthington's (or both) on tap and the doom bar and Atlantic on hand pull. That's it. They'll be a hand pull empty and the argument I'll get back when questioned why is it doesn't sell. That's not answer. Generic beers like I have listed encourages landlords to not bother hunting around for that gem that's the punters may like.

The impression I got from this thread was to highlight those beers that don't respect the real ale drinker and just flood the market with a sub standard product that people have to drink because its the only option. John smiths for me is a prime example. Now don't get me wrong john smiths is a brilliant example of chemical engineering. For it to taste exactly the same form keg, cask, bottle or can is pure genius and if your a fan of john smiths that's brilliant for you. But what it doesn't encourage is people to try something different. Something they may like that but cos they're goto generic beers on tap they ignore the guest beers regardless of whether its like john smiths or not. The big example her locally is there are a large number of pubs that serve. John smiths or Worthington's (or both) on tap and the doom bar and Atlantic on hand pull. That's it. They'll be a hand pull empty and the argument I'll get back when questioned why is it doesn't sell. That's not answer. Generic beers like I have listed encourages landlords to not bother hunting around for that gem that's the punters may like.

I think a big problem may be that so many pubs are going to the wall. I live in London and there are many thriving Real Ale/Craft pubs partly because this type of beer and the pubs it's served in are fashionable. I image there are many places up and down the country where the landlord is trying to make ends meet rather than flogging expensive hipster beer to bloke (and probably women) with beards, tight jeans and checked shirts. So has to give the punters what they want. And if the punters aren't willing to try out new and interesting beers the landlord isnt going to put them on.

I was in my local hipster pub last night and tried out a beer by Arbor ales made with coriander and cardomon, it was disgusting, like cough medicine or a beer version of jaagermeister. I dont think they'll be selling many pints of the stuff but the land lord was willing to give it a go. If this was a pub on the margins I dont think they would have risked something like that

And how many people have been driven to the consistency of generic beer, by poorly executed 'Real Ale' (a definition that has no influence on quality)?

As for the OPs point, I don't think they are appalling tasting, more inoffensive and devoid of character.

My local does your generic rubbish, same as most pubs ( Carling, tennents, carlsberg, best, guineas) I asked the owner why and he replied that's what people want. I disagreed with him saying if that's all your offering, then of course people will drink it. He asked what I'd like so he started getting a couple of cases of weihenstephan a week and now its going on draft its so popular. Now is he looking at the local brewarys to see what they were doing too. Give people a choice between **** and not ****, then usually they will go for not ****

My local does your generic rubbish, same as most pubs ( Carling, tennents, carlsberg, best, guineas) I asked the owner why and he replied that's what people want. I disagreed with him saying if that's all your offering, then of course people will drink it. He asked what I'd like so he started getting a couple of cases of weihenstephan a week and now its going on draft its so popular. Now is he looking at the local brewarys to see what they were doing too. Give people a choice between **** and not ****, then usually they will go for not ****

This is clearly true. I only visit pubs when I 'have to' cos basically I'm an unsocial git/tight/prefer my own beer, but I've always noticed that guest beers flow faster than the stuff which only sells cos so many folk are soft in the head and are influenced by teevee adverts.

Hi all, here in the state's in my opinion of beers to not drink is the new and unimproved Milwaukees best ice. This beer was recently changed from 5.9% to 6.9% and from what I can tell all they did was add more corn and less malt. It now gives a hangover with the headache behind the eyes and make you feel like you have a cold. The old recipe was by no means a great. Beer but its even worse now. Alot of people I know have changed to just plain milwaukees best lager with a 5.3%.

I have a food intolerence to corn and a headache and like a cold are two of the classic symptoms. There are many others as well like stomach problems, joint adn muscle aches and pains and fatigue. I always find there is one thing that is better than anything else as a cure though, and its genuine I'm not just saying it, which is alcohol.

If you have any other health issues its possible you could have this too, but if you have allergy testing dont do a skin prick test as that can return a false negative result.

I think a big problem may be that so many pubs are going to the wall. I live in London and there are many thriving Real Ale/Craft pubs partly because this type of beer and the pubs it's served in are fashionable. I image there are many places up and down the country where the landlord is trying to make ends meet rather than flogging expensive hipster beer to bloke (and probably women) with beards, tight jeans and checked shirts. So has to give the punters what they want. And if the punters aren't willing to try out new and interesting beers the landlord isnt going to put them on.

I was in my local hipster pub last night and tried out a beer by Arbor ales made with coriander and cardomon, it was disgusting, like cough medicine or a beer version of jaagermeister. I dont think they'll be selling many pints of the stuff but the land lord was willing to give it a go. If this was a pub on the margins I dont think they would have risked something like that

I think that the overwhelming majority of pubs that are going to the wall are the ****-poor ones that only do lagers, smoothflow, keg beers etc that taste the same in bottle/can as from the tap. The real ale/craft pubs are thriving because they are giving this amazing choice, you can't get these beers at home and that's what people want.

Like you, I would hate that Arbor Ales beer you tried, but there are people who enjoy that sort of ale. Thornbridge are a very successful small brewery in Derbyshire and I find a lot of their stuff foul, but whenever even the most objectionable ones are on sale in pubs where my partner lives, you always find people enjoying it.

Marble Beers here in Manchester are wildly popular and I have yet to taste a single one of their beers I like; for me they're either massively over-hopped or taste of stuff you should never put in a real ale (eg ginger or Earl Grey Tea). It's clear they're not bad beers, just not to my taste.

There are plenty of good/excellent more traditional beer-tasting beers that certain landlords could be stocking, but don't - instead stocking bland lagers (tautology), keg beers and nitro-bilge - and they just won't get my and many other's custom. I am sure that I am not atypical in that respect and it's why crappy pubs like that are disappearing hand over fist. It's not the really good real ale pubs that are shutting down (in the vast majority of cases).

Back