Help!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mwh1963

Reaction score
Just put down my first 30 bottle red wine kit.
I have purchased a heat belt but is only showing 18c., (Avery cold house!!), will the wine still ferment?
Any other tips for a complete e novice would be greatly appreciated!!

Welcome to the Forum. :thumb:

Don't panic just because your system is showing a couple of degrees too low; the wine will still ferment but at a slower rate.

I suggest that you go and nick someone else's duffel coat and throw it over the FV to keep the heat in. (Someone else's duffel coat because the smell of fermenting wine is an acquired taste!) :whistle:

A brew belt is rather inefficient as much of the heat is radiated outwards. Insulating with a blanket makes it more efficient. Also positioning the belt low down works best. If the fermenter is on a cold surface, place polystyrene underneath.

I finally gave in and bought a heat pad on ebay its the same one as below and is not one of the flexible pads its the better (in my view) solid tray type, my 30 bottle wine kit has been sat at 26c in a 15c kitchen for 6 days and its finished it took at least 3 days longer last time without the pad.

£25 at Wilko - http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-gifts/brewers-multi-purpose-heat-pad/invt/0435890

0435890_l.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :thumb:

Don't panic just because your system is showing a couple of degrees too low; the wine will still ferment but at a slower rate.

I suggest that you go and nick someone else's duffel coat and throw it over the FV to keep the heat in. (Someone else's duffel coat because the smell of fermenting wine is an acquired taste!) :whistle:

A classic piece advice from Dutto. Never use your own stuff, use someone else`s....coats, duvets, wife`s fridge. Childrens bedrooms are heated to 20oC for a reason and its not to keep their cotton socks warm

Have some condensation in the Air-Lock, take it this is a good thing?!

Er ... the Airlock should be half-filled with water and by now it should be bubbling occasionally; or at least the water level should no longer be level through the "S" Bend.

If you mean that there is some condensation on the inside of the tube leading to the Airlock then its presence is meaningless. Condensation will occur there under almost any circumstances. Sorry!

Just in case, you may like to read this little article ...

http://winemakersacademy.com/airlock-water/

Enjoy. :thumb:

This thread prompted me to buy a heat tray. I had a gallon of wine which was having trouble getting below sg 1020 due to ambient temperature dropping down to 16 c at night. At £34 it seemed a bit steep, but it holds 2 demijohns, has an insulated base and a thermal cut out, which maintains a constant temperature of 24 c. I connected it to a timer, so it only operates at night, giving a running cost of about £1 per month during the cold months.

has an insulated base and a thermal cut out, which maintains a constant temperature of 24 c. I connected it to a timer, so it only operates at night, giving a running cost of about £1 per month

The one i posted a picture of above has no control for the heat i left it on 24 hours a day for 6 days and the highest it got was 25/26c.

Back