Pectin haze?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken L

Landlord.
Reaction score
A few weeks back, I walked into my local Morrisons to see the 1.5l bottles of Copella Cloudy Apple Juice reduced to 50p.
I could only carry six because I was on my pushbike but I had a dozen or so standard packs of apple juice in the house and a TC brew ready to bottle so I figured I'd just start the new brew right on top of the old yeast along with the usual malic acid, tannin and a little sugar as additives.
Predictably, it went off like a rocket and smelled great going into the bottles but two weeks later, there's no sign of it clearing.
I grew up with cloudy cider so its not something I mind but is this likely to be the pectin haze I keep hearing about or is it something else?

You must have deep pockets if you paid full price but it's interesting that you had the same issue.
If I'm fortunate enough to find it at the same price again, I may try adding pectolase.

Bought 3 x 1.5l yesterday at a discount but nowhere near 50p :)

Anyway I have some Cider Yeast which I note has recently hit the shelves in Wilko - Gervin GV13 so am going to throw the 3 bottles into an empty 5 litre water container from Sainsbury's then pitch yeast and add some Pectolase. I last made a cider with Copella in July and about the only note I made at the time was that it finished fermenting quite quickly so am expecting this to go off quickly too. using nutrient and pectolase with this and possibly adding Stevia post fermentation depending on how it tastes.

I used Lalvin D47 last time so hopefully using a Cider yeast will have a beneficial impact on the result this time.

Bought 3 x 1.5l yesterday at a discount but nowhere near 50p :)

Anyway I have some Cider Yeast which I note has recently hit the shelves in Wilko - Gervin GV13 so am going to throw the 3 bottles into an empty 5 litre water container from Sainsbury's then pitch yeast and add some Pectolase. I last made a cider with Copella in July and about the only note I made at the time was that it finished fermenting quite quickly so am expecting this to go off quickly too. using nutrient and pectolase with this and possibly adding Stevia post fermentation depending on how it tastes.

I used Lalvin D47 last time so hopefully using a Cider yeast will have a beneficial impact on the result this time.

How did you get on with the cider yeast from Wilko? I'm about to juice and strain some apples and make some cider using the same yeast. Also, how crucial is the tea for the tannins? I'm guessing it gives a bit more body and depth of flavour?

Just an update: It's still not clear (I doubt it ever will be) but it is worth noting that over time, it has thrown a very thick sediment in the bottles.
Looks like the juice extraction process and the tinkering to market it as "cloudy" apple juice left a lot of cellular material in suspension, even past the point where most of the yeast had settled out. If you want a clear pint, it might be worth a bit of patience before bottling or a bit of active clearing/filtering.

Just an update: It's still not clear (I doubt it ever will be) but it is worth noting that over time, it has thrown a very thick sediment in the bottles.
Looks like the juice extraction process and the tinkering to market it as "cloudy" apple juice left a lot of cellular material in suspension, even past the point where most of the yeast had settled out. If you want a clear pint, it might be worth a bit of patience before bottling or a bit of active clearing/filtering.

Could you use finings of some kind to clear it?

Pectolase when I started and patience/finings prior to starting would undoubtedly have given me a clear pint but I'm just mentioning it as its quite unusual for a brew to drop so much additional sediment after the yeast has settled.

"Or just drink it as it is and enjoy it."

I will. I don't mind a slight haze, but it is unusual for a TC.
I shan't be drinking it any time soon though because I'm off the booze for a couple of months.

Back