Brewdog punk IPA clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a specific amount of sparge water that is collected in the boil kettle similar to batch sparging and allow the hot liquor to drain completely through the grain or do you constantly keep water level 2 inch above the grain until you reach desired sg 0.990 or desired final wort quantity?

Confused.com

Tried Nobbyipa's Punk Number 3 recipe last weekend (thanks Nobby!) with S04, got 1050 which is now down to 1008 so a wholesome 5.5%

At day 3 I lobbed in all the dry hops (putting the leaf through the blender first), wow, what a lot of hops. Gave it all a good santised stir, to wet the hops, hoping to encourage them to sink.

Going to leave it for another week in the FV - heater is off now, so temp should drop to garage (about 14 today).
I'm hoping the yeast will clear up, and drag the remaining hops to the bottom. (Ha, there's an inch layer on the top of damp hops still).

Then transfer to either FV2 for a week or straight to PB if it looks clear enough.

Now, with this amount of hops in there, all either settled, suspended or floaty, it's going to be quite a leafy ale.

Anyone any experience / tips for getting rid of the hops at the end? I normally transfer to the next vessel (FV2 or PB) through tap at bottom taking care to leave the trub behind, however I think this one's going to be a little more tricky.

Is there a specific amount of sparge water that is collected in the boil kettle similar to batch sparging and allow the hot liquor to drain completely through the grain or do you constantly keep water level 2 inch above the grain until you reach desired sg 0.990 or desired final wort quantity?

Confused.com

Francis, not sure I understand the question, but...

I use BrewMate to calculate the suggested strike and sparge volumes. Then I pump the water onto aluminium foil on top of the grain post mash with holes all over to distribute the water. Aim to keep an inch or so on the top, while draining the MT into a bucket at about 1l / min (my MT is 40 litres and I tend to do about 75 litre brews).

Bucket contents get chucked into boil kettle every so often, until all the sparge water is used, or runnings drop to 0.990, or no space left in boiler.

Usually the first 2 of these happen about the same time.

Latest posts

Back