Recipe advice.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ2You

TJ
Reaction score
Today, I got my welshes red grape concentrate , apple juice from concentrate and blueberry juice from concentrate, so I have put 11/2 litres of welshes 1ltr apple and 1 Ltr of blueberries juice in the 2 dj’s. So not sure if I put some water in at the moment or, as I have some frozen berries in the freezer if to put them in frozen or wait until defrosted, what you guys think please.

Today, I got my welshes red grape concentrate , apple juice from concentrate and blueberry juice from concentrate, so I have put 11/2 litres of welshes 1ltr apple and 1 Ltr of blueberries juice in the 2 dj’s. So not sure if I put some water in at the moment or, as I have some frozen berries in the freezer if to put them in frozen or wait until defrosted, what you guys think please.

I would not water it down. Wait until fermentation stops then rack onto the defrosted berries. IF you add them at the start you wont get much flavour.

The Wilco concentrate has a sugar content of 200 g.

Is the wilko stuff more concentrated than the youngs stuff?
Vinotinto asked the question of youngs, reply below.....

"Update - result from Youngs.

The Youngs Definitive Grape Juice 245g cans contain 135.73 g of natural sugar. This applies to both red and white varieties.

So there you have it from the horse's Mouth. Sounds too precise to be concocted!"

I'd be interested to know the actual content myself as I'm planning a batch of Richard's red soon

Cheers. Tom

The Wilco concentrate has a sugar content of 200 g.

If you want to test this, 200g of sugar and assuming a 220ml bottle (If anyone knows the actual contents in ml I can recalculate) do the following:

Mix 10ml of concentrate with 90ml of water in a trial jar (mix very well) and take a hydrometer reading. If the above is true the reading would be 1.034

For anyone who wants to check the maths and correct please do: (s.g.-1000)*2.675*.22 = Sugar in grams.
If you plug an s.g. of 1.340 (1340) into this it'll give you a sugar content of 200.1g. By diluting the mix to 10% it should give a s.g. of 1.034

If you want to test this, 200g of sugar and assuming a 220ml bottle (If anyone knows the actual contents in ml I can recalculate) do the following:

Mix 10ml of concentrate with 90ml of water in a trial jar (mix very well) and take a hydrometer reading. If the above is true the reading would be 1.034

For anyone who wants to check the maths and correct please do: (s.g.-1000)*2.675*.22 = Sugar in grams.
If you plug an s.g. of 1.340 (1340) into this it'll give you a sugar content of 200.1g. By diluting the mix to 10% it should give a s.g. of 1.034

Maths, beautiful maths :grin:

Hi

I thought 200g of sugar in 220ml seemed high so I've checked (I'm more of a physicist than a chemist) and at 20c you can get 200g of sugar in a 100ml solution before the solution becomes saturated so the above is more than achievable. Even at 1c a 100ml solution should hold around 180g of sugar so your not going to get sugar crystals falling out of the solution before it starts to freeze.

Paul.

Well the 2dj’s are nice and fruity, I fermented the red grape, blueberry and apple juice, once it finished, I got some frozen berries (redcurrents, blackberrys, Black currents & raspberries ) in muzzling over the juice in a large bucket, they defrosted so I squeezed the hell out of them so all the juice extracted, and then decanted back into the dj’s, now it’s very cloudy, do I need to do the finings again? It is very dry, should I put in some sugar syrup, or can I put honey in it to sweeten it up a bit? I am just trying to experiment. Thanks for your thoughts ladies n Gents.

That’s it all bottled and very nice if I say so my self.
Now to try 1 ltr cherry juice and 2ltr welches red grape juice.
I looked at what goes well with cherries and I saw peach juice so may stick 1ltr of that in it tomorrow and start fermenting, here goes let’s see how this goes.
Also just done a Solomon Grundy Merlot, which i got for xmas from the wife, it smells good, and now all bottled managed 28 bottles although they say 30 bottles, I used my heat pad from Wilkos and it works like a dream.

Back