My first WOW, with pictures, the blind leading the blind

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winsac

Reaction score
:!: Well day one of my first Wow, got myself some juice.

5910548650_198b4b41f3.jpg
Aldi juice

Followed Moleys recipe best I could, Used two litres of juice 900 grams of sugar, water up to the shoulder of the DJ and some Pectolase, Champane yeast, and gave the whole lot a good shake ( everything sterilised of course )

5910549424_ed85a8ec22.jpg

This is what it looks like, Its bubbling already after 45 minuets.

Now its time to wait for the magic to take place ( Will keep anyone that's interested updated as I go along)

Day 2

5913234637_e30a2941d3.jpg

Forgot to put in yeast nutrient last night, so I put it in this morning. Seems to have developed a big frothy head, Moley says to give it a swirl once a day to get the bits circulating so I have rocked my baby this evening. By the way the brew temperature is a fairly constant 20 Celsius.

Day 3

5917018438_4af554aa4e.jpg

5916459351_ef6aaec852.jpg

As you can see The wow has changed in just one day, the froth on top has gone and it has turned into a kind of snow globe with the bits rising and falling. The airlock is burping 3 times a second and the smell is nice around the airlock, thinking now about topping it up with bottled water to the neck.

Day 4

5919881844_1e439940df.jpg

5919880854_33d64ea447.jpg

Should have listened to Moley topped up with bottled water today right up to the neck all in one go instead of doing it in stages over a few days.Now its gone savage, as you can see the Wow is trying to escape and has integrated its self with the water in the airlock. ( lesson learnt )
I will change the airlock tomorrow if it has calmed down, that's if it is still in the DJ in the morning as it may have decided that it is better of in the teacloth that I have had to place under it than in the hands of a novice that wouldn't listen.

Day 5

5923889572_0b52c6dc9e.jpg

Its day 5 and it is still going like a steam train, I thought I would show you what has formed at the bottom I hope this is normal? as it seems a lot.
The smell from around the airlock has changed from a very fragrant whiff to a more alcoholic smell, but not unpleasant.
As this is my first Wow and only my third brew I would be grateful for any advice or tips.

Day 6

5927582731_0bd5e5db2f.jpg

Day 6 has seen more dearly departed yeasties going to their final resting place at the bottom of the DJ, still seems quite a lot to me but apparently this is normal. The bubbling in the airlock has definitely slowed down, so I expect by the end of the week the fermentation will be over then the waiting game begins.

Day 7

5932017312_20863d6e22.jpg

The hydrometer hit the floor of the DJ, so I think I may have a nice little drink on my hands.

5932018000_987d4b24f3.jpg

As you can see the reading shows 0.998 ish, the airlock has slowed right down to a burp every 5 seconds or so.

Day 8

5935220984_9d1d4e5ce4.jpg

Well that's it for a few weeks I can only wait, the airlock has stopped burping and the hydrometer reading I took yesterday indicates the fermentation stage is over. The next stage is to let it sit for a few weeks and let the yeasties clean up after themselves, then the next part begins clearing, stabilising, and bottling. I will post new pictures as I go through that process as a reference for anyone making their first Wow. As a disclaimer this is my first Wow and only my third brew, I post these pictures in the hope they may help someone who is making their first batch of Wurzels, but what happened in my DJ may not happen in yours.( good luck )

Back again, a few weeks have gone by and the Wow has cleared quite nicely on its own. Now its time to rack it and add the chemicals.

6003062151_189cf75fa9.jpg
Before racking into new DJ, it has cleared quite well after 2 weeks.

6003108731_20c4f1863e.jpg
The chemicals I used, Campten tablets stun the yeast among other things, the potassium sorbate newter the yeast and the bentonite clear the wine.

6003109461_9ef0402e4a.jpg
Picture taken after racking, it looks worse than when I started it will hopefully clear over the next few days. As you can see the bentonite has sort of coagulated on the bottom of the DJ, I am not sure if this is normal but we will see. By the way I filled up the DJ to the neck after racking with bottled water and added 10 glucose drops to sweeten the wine up a bit.

As I am only chronicling my attempt at a WOW and am no expert I think it only fare to point you in the direction of the concise guide by Moley, so here is the link http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/v...s as a cheeky sample. Review ( fcuking good )

Looks good to me :thumb:

Maybe filled half an inch too high for this time of year, stand it on a tray and keep an eye on it for the first few days, giving the jar a gentle swirl from time to time to get the head of pulp back into the mix.

Thanks Moley I don't think I will need the tray as it seems to be well behaved. (was I wrong!!! )

Still looking good to me, and that sediment is quite normal, and it looks like whisps of it are still being picked up and carried to the top.

But, that light fluffy sediment is one of the reasons why I try to advise and keep ramming home the point, when all signs of fermentation are over that's when you particularly need the patience to leave it alone for another week or two, let the yeasties completely finish their clearing up and give that sediment chance to settle and compact. Rack too soon and you waste too much wine.

Looks gr8!
Just a quick question - anybody tried this with red grape juice instead of white? i am having probs sourcing white but can get red no probs? Would it cause major probs if done with red??

Yes, you can use red grape juice to get a pink wine.

RGJ + Cranberry juice drink to the same method also works well.

Moley said:
But, that light fluffy sediment is one of the reasons why I try to advise and keep ramming home the point, when all signs of fermentation are over that's when you particularly need the patience to leave it alone for another week or two, let the yeasties completely finish their clearing up and give that sediment chance to settle and compact. Rack too soon and you waste too much wine.

:lol: it that crime punishable? Death penalty perhaps? :rofl:

Moley recommends letting the wine sit on the lees for a week or so after the fermentation has finished to let them finish their work, would two weeks be to long would it taint the wine? I ask because I am going on holidays and it would be handy to rack when I come back, If not I am going to have to bring it with me to lanzarote!!!!!!!

No Baz, I just bottled strait from the DJ it looks nice and clear to me. Good luck with your Wow.

Back