Cheap v expensive

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cask is best

Landlord.
Reaction score

Can you still buy the cheap Tom Caxton kits geordie kits supermarkets home brand etc and are they on a par with the more expensive kits some of which i have seen for 20 odd quid compared to under a tenner.
:cheers:

cask is best said:
Can you still buy the cheap Tom Caxton kits geordie kits supermarkets home brand etc and are they on a par with the more expensive kits some of which i have seen for 20 odd quid compared to under a tenner.

There's a large selection available at the cheaper end, starting from about £8, 1.5 kg kit with sugar to add. In fact I bought a bitter kit recently from Wilko for about £9 which I will use to experiment with fruit. However, I generally use the expensive kits around £20+ for 3 kg no sugar required.

In my view they produce a much better result, as far as kits go.

cask is best said:
Can you still buy the cheap Tom Caxton kits geordie kits supermarkets home brand etc
Yes
and are they on a par with the more expensive kits some of which i have seen for 20 odd quid compared to under a tenner
No!

Im drinking a 1 can kit of coopers stout made with 500g dark spray malt and 1kg brown sugar and it's great cost me about 15 quid total
Surely proof that cheap kits can make good beer
As long as you add half decent ingredients

Wolverine said:
Im drinking a 1 can kit of coopers stout made with 500g dark spray malt and 1kg brown sugar and it's great cost me about 15 quid total

Ah but that wasn't the question!

On their own, they don't compare!

My view on the price difference of kits.
There is nothing wrong with cheap kits, they do exactly what they say on the tin. Some kits are twice as expensive as others, but are they twice as good ?...Not necessaly (sp), the more expensive ones are better, but not twice as good. Beer, like food is finite. Does a £100 meal taste 100 times better than a £1.00 burger?...no it doesnt.
Its all down to what you think is value for money.
After 20+ A/G brews, I still do a Young`s Harvest Stout (my first ever homebrew) because it is remarkably cheap for the beer it makes. In my opinion the best 24p per pint ever spent for a kit beer.

Wolverine said:
But Cooper isn't a 'Cheap' kit ;)

klaus said:
cask is best said:

There's a large selection available at the cheaper end, starting from about £8, 1.5 kg kit with sugar to add. In fact I bought a bitter kit recently from Wilko for about £9 which I will use to experiment with fruit. However, I generally use the expensive kits around £20+ for 3 kg no sugar required.

In my view they produce a much better result, as far as kits go.
You can actualy buy a kit were you don't have to add any sugar.

Latest posts

Back