bottom fermented bitter ale type beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why? one of the characteristics of an ale is the yeast majority of the flavour of an ale comes from the yeast.

This may be completely wrong as I am well out of my comfort zone on this, so all you continental beer gods please forgive me. But i was looking at Ray Daniels Designing Great Beers for inspiration for you and thought of Alt and Kolsch beer, they use an ale yeast (i know not what you want) but are lagered like a larger and use continental speciality malts and hops. Or perhaps a bock which make use of crystal and choclate malts but use a lager yeast.

May be worth a little look.

:thumb:

The net result is going to be very much like an american style pale ale. American ale yeast is generally so clean that if you have a lot going on with hops and crystal malts, you might as well have used a lager yeast.

I've used lager yeast in an american IPA before, and it really didn't make a noticeable difference from US-05. Well, that's not true, I certainly noticed the additional effort involved in fermentation temperature control that's necessary for the lager yeast...

I agree with gray, you'll be missing out on one of the key components of a great bitter.

Back