Better Brew, IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pearlfisher said:
Kegged this 12 days ago and had trouble with the seal , sorted it out and now put it in the coolest part of the house.

When I siphoned it , it tasted very bitter , so I decided to add about a tablespoon of wine sweetener and 100g of beer enhancer for secondary fermentation.
Also added another 50g of beer enhancer when I sorted the seal problem out 4 days later.

I've been trying a drop each day since moving it and although it's very lively and clearing well it is very sweet , just hoping some of the sweetness will mature out of it and hopefully end up with with a beer very similar to Batham's best bitter.

Tap also leaking about 50ml per day from spout , so it will need to be drank ASAP.

Had another taster today , not quite as sweet , probably too sweet for most ale drinkers , but I think it's going to taste even better than Batham's! :grin: :D

I've just had a little taster too :whistle: :drink:
Not a bad fizz on opening & a small head, so looking promising. :cheers:

Another 11days in the bottle & it's getting much much better. :party:
I get a nice head now but it doesn't last too long.
Taste is way better than my St. Peters Ipa. (but I know its a question of taste)
Gotta empty about 6 bottles tonight to have enough to bottle my Sundew :drunk: :drunk:

Ok guys, here's my 2 penneth
Started the fermentation 3 weeks ago using medium DME and nothing else..... Initially slow fermentation (kits normally take off within a couple of hours in our kitchen, this took a good 12hrs) but when it did it went off like a rocket..... Not excessive but produced a good head of CO2 (bulged the FV lid) that lasted over a week... Left it longer than my usual 2 weeks (3 weeks) and today dropped it into a secondary vessel but tried it before lidding it..... Not crystal clear, hence the secondary, will leave it around another week to hopefully drop out before kegging..... The trub was a solid, and I do mean solid, cake that needed some encouragement to loosen from the bottom of the FV when it was rinsed out ..... Thoughts on the sample taken is outstanding, not as hoppy as I like my IPA but it's damn good even at this "green" stage.... I WILL be doing more of these kits if this is the result..... Well done Hambleton Bard, this is one is a winner and I for one will be buying more

How much sugar would you add to prime a 500ml bottle, 1/2 or a full tsp?

Thanks Andy

I batch primed mine, and put 115g in iirc. Now, tasting ita little early, Sweden's perfect. But, after cold conditioning for about a month,I think it's a little too primed. Would probably say 105g would be better. It's not too bad, just a little more than its have wanted...

:thumb: :thumb: Made this my 2nd brew. Used 1kg of Muntons beer enhancer and used Better brew Finishing hops (Goldings) which come in a tea bag which is soaked in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes. then added to the FV.
I transfered to a King Keg after fermentation had stopped. Had a taste and it was very hoppy. Too hoppy. But since then (1 week) it has mellowed out and is going to be a very nice drink which I will make again

Just thought i'd give my 2c as I tried this in my LHBS yesterday. Darn those locals trying to get me drunk halfway through my working day :whistle: I assume it's had decent ageing because it's 2/3 down the way of the keg so would like to say it was ready.

It's got quite a heavy body, certainly not a session beer! The hops are pretty intense, quite bitter, loads of passionfruit and a tarty sour flavour in there. For the price of the kit, and the fact it's a kit, I was mightily impressed. If I wasn't primarily extract/AG, I'd definitely put one of these on!

My first brewing turned out well with the Betterbrew IPa and was just to my liking. Substituted the sugars for Beer enhancer as is my normal practise now and it gave me no trouble at all. Pure white long lasting head, plenty of carbonation and a wonderful taste. Not too keen on over hoppy beers so I don't think I will add any extra anytime soon to my brews.
Wife's 60th birthday coming up soon and due to reaction of those who have tasted this brew I've got two more lots on the go. Yes for me its that good.
The trub sure goes like glue on the bottom of the FV which helps with getting a clear pint, There was no need for secondary vessel and was minimal deposit thrown in the bottle. Best of all... it was pleasant to drink even after only 3 weeks in the bottle and would have been please if thats how it remained, however it gets better and better, like callum this is going to be my primary " session " brew, one that I will make often.... unless I come across a better one of course. :grin:

Had the first taste of mine last night. In the FV for 13 days. Came out at about 5%. Primed with 100g of sugar in a pressure barrel and left in the house for a week. Been in the garage (reasonably cool) for a week.

This is my third kit and it is very very good for a young beer. Mouth feel is great and it had a very nice white head (had to be really steady when pouring!). Still tastes a little yeasty and is not that clear yet. Compares well with the Wherry I have just done. Decided against adding further hops to it. Going to do this to the Coopers APA I have in an FV. Got some Chinooks to try!

Might try fining my next brew. Any suggestions on what is best to use with a Pale Ale?

Cheers

I've done this kit and also just kegged a better brew midland mild ,with each kit I added a 1.5k can of coopers malt extract.
Both cleared really quickly ,but there doesn't seem to have been a secondary fermentation with either as they both are very sweet as if the sugar used for primimg the keg hasn't fermented out.

After the success of my first one of these resulting in a quicker stock depletion than anticipated, I got another on the go.

I guess the thing with kits is it should be easy to replicate the same beer many times over. I still had Chinook hops in the freezer so I figured doing exactly the same thing was the right way to go.

The first one was made with 1.5 kg liquid malt extract and had 34g (as it turned out - I didn't bother measuring) Chinook hops in a bag lobbed in right at the start.

This one (after my infection risk was pointed out) was brewed with 1.5kg liquid malt extract, fermented for a week until activity had all but died down, racked and dry hopped at that point with 40g Chinook - I figured that a few months in the freezer would have degraded them a little.

Two weeks of dry hopping, then bottled.

Two weeks of carbing and conditioning (which is nowhere near enough, its just a bottle to assess the potential of course Your Honour) and the first bottle tastes well, exceptionally similar to the first batch - or at least it will when it's properly conditioned.

So there you have it, Better Brew IPA comes out the same second time round - it doesn't seem to have been a fluke the first time!

I've got one that's turned out bad !

I've made 3 brews of this, two have been superb but one has failed me. All brews made exactly the same with just the changed variable of brew enhancer.
the last two were brewed side by side, One was no trouble and fermented out and bottled Samples show that its conditioning well and will be a good pint.
The other one gave me concerns from the word go... As soon as it started to ferment it gave off an awful smell that got worse and worse. It smelt like vomit ( sorry ) that sickly stomach retching smell you get when you have been very poorly head down the loo.
It never improved but when the time came for bottling it was nice and clear and looked well, although the smell was still there it was not half as apparent as when the yeast bed was under it. That was on the 23 July.
Curious I opened the sample bottle on the 3/08/12 and it had a good clean head nice and clean looking beer, but that smell persisted, I couldn't drink more than a mouthful.
I've tried again with another bottle tonight.AND.... it still smells. Its a lovely looking beer in the glass but by goodness it smacks you in the nose. Again its a sickly vomit type smell.
30 plus bottles are at present undrinkable but I have stashed them away and will leave for a few months before daring to uncap one again.
As I say 2 23 litre brews were no problem and are a pleasure to drink, but this one...... :sick: in fact :sick: again.
It must have been the yeast as I said the smell decreased once it was racked off the trub, and yes the trub smelt awful...
Oh well two out of three ain't bad.

Got a bottle to try tonight of my first brew. Bottled on the 29th June 2012.................. positively Ancient.

i came across this kit in a local health food shop for 14 quid and thought i'd give it a punt as i love ipa's ferment went like a dream not too much krasen on the top left it the suggested 2 weeks then tested with hydrometer, syphoned off to king keg with a cheeky glug and even at that stage it tasted good.
only managed to leave it alone for 2 days but only had little glasses here and there, then after 3 weeks i had 3 pints and couldnt remember going to bed lol so i may have overdone it with the beer enhancer
i would really reccommend this kit to anyone and plan on getting another asap

This is a cracking pint. :thumb:

I brewed with 500gms of brewing sugar and 500gms of spray malt medium. Made up to 23 litres as per instructions using bottled spring water. Each bottle primed with half a teaspoon of sugar, 1 week in a warm week followed by 2 weeks in the garage, cleared nicely.

OG 1042, FG 1011.

The initial taste (after about 4 weeks in the bottle) was quite bitter, however leave it another month and this has developed into a well balanced quality ale. :thumb: I'm really proud of this brew & can't quite believe that a kit beer can be this good. :eek: :D This has cost me less than 50p a pint :shock: :rofl:

Highly recommended. :drink:

I know others on these boards have dry-hopped this kit with great success, sound like a plan...... ;)

Yesterday evening I bottled my second BB IPA kit. :thumb:

As previously I used 500gms of brewing sugar & 500gms of medium spray malt. The start and finishing gravity readings were the same as before - 1042 - 1011, so I should end up with a brew @ 4-4.2% ABV. :drink:

However this time I tried my first attempt at dry hopping. Fairly straight forward, added 30gms of loose Cascade hops to the FV after the initial fermentation had died down (about 7 days) then left for another week, I just scooped out the loose hops with a sterilized sieve before bottling last night, adding half a teaspoon of sugar to each bottle. :cheers:

One or two tiny bits from the hops appear to have made their way into a few of the bottles, but I'm not really worried about that! Apart from the amazing hop aroma, the other noticable difference was that the brew was quite orange in colour and cloudier than my original BB IPA. I assume this is the result of the dry hopping, I'll report back in a few weeks time with further progress :D

Slate Miner said:
Yesterday evening I bottled my second BB IPA kit. :thumb:

As previously I used 500gms of brewing sugar & 500gms of medium spray malt. The start and finishing gravity readings were the same as before - 1042 - 1011, so I should end up with a brew @ 4-4.2% ABV. :drink:

However this time I tried my first attempt at dry hopping. Fairly straight forward, added 30gms of loose Cascade hops to the FV after the initial fermentation had died down (about 7 days) then left for another week, I just scooped out the loose hops with a sterilized sieve before bottling last night, adding half a teaspoon of sugar to each bottle. :cheers:

One or two tiny bits from the hops appear to have made their way into a few of the bottles, but I'm not really worried about that! Apart from the amazing hop aroma, the other noticable difference was that the brew was quite orange in colour and cloudier than my original BB IPA. I assume this is the result of the dry hopping, I'll report back in a few weeks time with further progress :D

Thought I'd report back on my BB IPA dry hopped with cascade hops, just over 3 weeks in the bottle so tried a pint this weekend.

Really pleased and impressed with the end result, lovely cascade hop aroma :thumb: Clear as a bell with a nicely retained head. Easily as good if not better than a lot of hoppy IPA's ale I've drunk over the years at real ale festivals. Add to this the fact that it's stiil less a month old, will be interesting to see if it improves over the coming weeks.

I can't quite believe I've made something this good from a kit with few addeed hops for atotal price @ 50p a pint :shock: :rofl:

:drink:

This kit makes a quality brew, what it does need is time for conditioning. In the olden days it was sent on a sea cruise to India for 6 months, so wait a while before drinking.Make with beer enhancer or spray malt or combination, and prime with good ol Tate and Lyle.

Back