Midnight Witbier.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottM

Landlord.
Reaction score
SHMBO was kind enough to pick me up some coriander seeds so that I could get this brew on. Not being one to mess around I decided to get-it-on as soon as I got in from backshift.

Just going for a 1 gallon batch due to it being a bit of a trial run. I saw a Hoegaarden extract recipe posted on the forum and fancied a crack at it so here's what I've gone with...

300g Wheat DME
300g Extra Light DME
6g Crushed Coriander Seed
12g Saaz Hops
1 orange peeled and gently squeezed (Just went for it here)

Brought 3.5L of water to the boil, squeezed in a little orange juice and then took of the heat to add the DME. Stuck it back on the boil then added 6g of Saaz (currently boiling now). After 45 mins I'll be chucking in the other 6g along with the orange peel. Just before the end of the 60 min boil I'll drop in the coriander seed and give it a few minutes to cool off. From there it'll be dropped into the kitchen sink for a bit of a cool off before being strained into the DJ.

For the yeast I went with WLP410. Already cultured 2L of the stuff so I'll be using around half a pint for this gallon and if it's a success I'll use the rest for a proper batch :D

Think it'll be a while before I get it cool enough to pitch though. Ahh well, there's a nicely stocked fridge there calling me.... .it's a hard life.

for a 23l brew i use 28g of cori but since reading a few books ive newly got it says the original recipe would have more like 1/5g and btw you use the orange peel and pop into boil at end , around 5 mins . you won't notice it have you have done it :) good luck , should still come out good :cheers:

pittsy said:
for a 23l brew i use 28g of cori but since reading a few books ive newly got it says the original recipe would have more like 1/5g and btw you use the orange peel and pop into boil at end , around 5 mins . you won't notice it have you have done it :) good luck , should still come out good :cheers:

Ahh I just followed that other recipe and the directions in it that said to add it 15 minutes before the end :(

No matter, that's why I'm doing the little trial :D

Did you mean 15g per 23L?

It's off to a flier anyway, came down this morning to this....

Wit.jpg

Just shows you the difference a decent starter will make :D

Latest posts

Back