Coopers Wheat Beer Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Magic

I love a nice wheat beer i look forward to reading and trying your recipe :thumb:

B

Got round to brewing this one tonight, with the orange zest and coriander seeds using WB-06 yeast and 1kg wheat spraymalt after lots of good sounding advice above. Brewed to 20.5 litres and had a SG of 1041, which was a little lower than I expected, should still be around 4%.

Hope to keep it for the summer BBQ season - but haven't been too successful in keeping my hands off any of the brews I've done to date :drink:

Has anyone got any advice on priming this brew? I'm a few days off bottling but want to get whatever i need in advance. I will be batch priming.

Cracked open one of these last night after just over 4 weeks in the bottle, for quality control purposes. Have to say I was quite impressed, nice colour and decently cloudy. Big hiss when I opened the rock hard bottle, poured with a huge head which lasted very well to the bottom of the glass. Definite banana flavours with a hint of bubble gum, not much clove (maybe just a hint). Would be a deliciously refreshing pint on a summers evening - if we get one - or of it lasts that long!

One for the 'will brew again' list! :thumb:

hi i started this brew on 25 june 2013 .made up 23litres with 500gram of light dry malt extract and 300gram of granulated sugar..took 17 days to brew and bottled it on 12 july 2013 ..added 4 oz of demerar sugar to secondary prime it ..i am still drinking it ..it is nice and clear..light golden colour and almost a lager ..more lager than a beer ..very light flavours ..everyone loved it in the summer ..but i always brew another batch before it runs out and have saved a few bottles has a nice head would be nice with some fresh hops adding late in the brew which i might try if i brew this again. :drink:

Had this kit for my birthday in a cooper DIY Homebrew package as its my first brew ive made in 20 odd years!
started 31 October fv 23l coopers beer enhancer 1 og 1040. Day 6 and 7 FG 1012 so bottled with 1 carbonation drop per 500ml bottles
sat in bedroom for secondary ferment 1 week then in shed. opened bottle 15 nov to taste.. nice and clear, nice head on beer However would not class this as a wheat beer more like a lager.
Having said that as its my first brew inpressed with the actual result... It looks like a beer enough fizz of a beer has a head of a beer and clear like a beer so all in all class it as a success.
An ideal starter kits for your first beer. Now given me the momentum for another brew

FV St Peters Ruby
Bottled Coopers Wheat
Planning Stout with added zing maybe treacle or enhancer

Going to brew up the kit this weekend. I plan on using lemon zest and coriander. Those who did the orange zest, stupid question but how long did you boil the zest/crushed coriander? I am guessing you just pitch it into the FV while mixing everything? For some reason I only ordered 500g of the wheat spray malt. Any recommendations on what else to use or just go with another 500g of the spraymalt? It seems like the consensus is to not use sugar during the fermentation process.

G Wheat or Wheaty G (cannot decide what to name it yet) is alive.

3 lemons peeled/cut up
crushed up some coriander seeds
Boiled for 30 mins

1 Kg Light DME
500g Muntons Wheat DME

Safbrew SB-06 Yeast, pitched at around 23C

OG: 1.046

I opted to leave the lemon and coriander in the fermentation bucket.

When I drew a sample for the OG, the taste was...different. I definitely did not taste any of the citrus, perhaps I will add a little more when it goes into conditioning.

im planning to make this kit and was wondering if anyone could advise on the following:

1. the guy in my local home brew shop recommended 500g wheat spray malt and 500g of brewing sugar. Is 1kg of wheat spray malt a better option?/is there a reason not to?
2. what type of hops would compliment this beer? i would be keen to experiment with dry hopping
3. how do you add orange and corriander?

Thanks
Mike

wheat malt 1kg will be better , i would also get some wb06 yeast if wanting a german style hefeweizen or some Blanche yeast if wanting a belgian witbier . 30g of rolled cracked coriander seed and 30g of dried orange peel ( bake in oven to dry ) . I would boil a few litres of water in a pan and add the cori and orange then boil for 5 mins , chuck into fv . You don't need/want more hops as hops shouldn't be noticed in a wheat beer .

thanks for the advice. i will give this a go and save the dry hopping for a pale ale some time.

I started this on 10/3/14

1 x Kit Can
1kg Light Spray Malt
WB-06 Yeast
30g Crushed Coriander Seeds
Peel of 5 Oranges (dried in the oven for about 40 mins)
300g Crushed Crystal Malt
100g Crushed Wheat Malt

Boiled Crystal for 30 mins in about 4 litres of water in a clean saucepan. Added Wheat, Orange and Coriander and boiled for a further 10 mins (all boiled in a muslin bag) Lifted the bag out and let it drain back into the saucepan. Poured the boiled wort into the FV, hung the muslin bag over the FV and and poured hot water through it to rinse out any more goodness from it (must have been about 2 or 3 litres)
Chucked everything else in the FV, except for the yeast as it was 29c, gave it a jolly good hiding with a whisk and topped up to 20L.
Pitched yeast at 20c, set the STC to 16c.
OG 1.047
Fermented for 11 days and had a FG 1.008
Batch primed with 180g Golden Cane Sugar and bottled.
9 days in the warm, the rest in the garage

Blimey! I am seriously impressed with this. Can,t detect any Orange or Coriander. Its fairly clear in the bottle but has quite a bit of yeast at bottom. Poured slowly and swirled the last inch into a proper glass. The colour is reddish brown, aroma the same as an Erdinger, in fact this tastes just like an Erdinger. Keeps the head right to the bottom of the glass, loads of bubbles.

I brewed this with info from this forum (thanks Pittsy!) and will definitely will be doing it again. I still can't believe I made this! the best brew so far (only started in Jan this year) :grin:

Wheat Beer (1).jpg

Wheat Beer (2).jpg

Wheat Beer (3).jpg

Last edited:
That looks pretty awesome I must say. When you are talking about crushed crystal and wheat malt, does that mean actual grain? I thought all you would need you be the 1kg of fermentables to add to the kit can - does this make it a stronger beer?

I am tempted to try and make a raspberry or strawberry wheat beer out of this kit - could anyone advise on this? thanks

That looks pretty awesome I must say. When you are talking about crushed crystal and wheat malt, does that mean actual grain? I thought all you would need you be the 1kg of fermentables to add to the kit can - does this make it a stronger beer?

I am tempted to try and make a raspberry or strawberry wheat beer out of this kit - could anyone advise on this? thanks

Yea, it was grain. Boiled in a muslin bag. I think it did make it stronger but I did brew short to 20L. Came out about 5%.

I may try adding some sort of fruit extract/flavouring, but at the moment this is my favourite brew to date. Iv'e never tried adding anything yet.

Good luck!

:cheers:

I went to the local home brew shop for a few things yesterday - got some crushed crystal malt and wheat malt to add. unfortunately they didn't have the wb06 yeast though and the best they could suggest was the safale s 04. does anyone have any experience of this? is it likely to give a better result than the yeast that comes with the kit?

This has been in the bottle about 3 weeks now and I am impressed with it. its got good body and a good head. pouring in the sediment makes all the difference in it feeling like a wheat beer to drink. this probably sounds a daft comment to more experienced brewers, but you can tell it is a wheat beer rather than other kits I have made with barley malt extract. I dont think I can detect the orange or coriander yet, but will see how it develops as it matures. I am not an experienced brewer, but with the knowledge I have, would recommend this kit on the basis that it actually has a similar smell and taste to wheat beers I have drank in pubs or from shops. there isn't much of a home brew twang with it either. a tasty pint that looks great.

This has been in the bottle about 3 weeks now and I am impressed with it. its got good body and a good head. pouring in the sediment makes all the difference in it feeling like a wheat beer to drink. this probably sounds a daft comment to more experienced brewers, but you can tell it is a wheat beer rather than other kits I have made with barley malt extract. I dont think I can detect the orange or coriander yet, but will see how it develops as it matures. I am not an experienced brewer, but with the knowledge I have, would recommend this kit on the basis that it actually has a similar smell and taste to wheat beers I have drank in pubs or from shops. there isn't much of a home brew twang with it either. a tasty pint that looks great.

Well done Mike!
Im of the same opinion as you. Its not bad is it!

:thumb:

Latest posts

Back