filtering wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickthebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
i made some carrot wine a couple of months ago and didn`t use any pectalose as it was my first brew - it was still cloudy and showing no signs of clearing - and when my dad had given me his old wine making kit there was a vinbrite mk3 wine filter with it so i thought i`d give it a bash!

below are pics showing before and after and a side to side shot as i had two gallons - its done a pretty good job and as the wine tastes pretty good i wanted it to look good to !
1-bitcloudy.jpg

bit cloudy
2-filter.jpg

filter

3-filtering.jpg

filtering

4-filteredonleft.jpg

filtered one on left
5-clearer.jpg

much clearer!
you can still buy this and mine must be at least 20 years old!!

Sorry Rick, pic#1 isn't "a bit cloudy", that's as thick as pudding.

In the final 'filtered' pic you really should be able to count the blades of grass through the DJ.

If you haven't got pectolase at the start, add double the quantity later.

Carrot shouldn't be a 'problem' wine, give that other jar a double dose of pectolase, leave it a month in a cool place and then try finings if necessary.

As said carrot is not a problem to clear normally and as far as I am aware they contain no pectin.

I always fine before filtering as is recommended by the manufactures and it makes a big difference.

The latest version of that filter has a vent in the top which greatly improves the performance,
and an upgrade kit is available for £3.52.

yeah i dunno why the carrot was so cloudy - it did have some potatoe in it to and i fermented the grated carrot and potatoe in a bucket for a week so may be this is why!! I`ve had much better results since - check out my bottled rhubarb and orange - crystal clear with a slight pink - there`s one in the fridge chilling for tonight!!

bottle2.jpg

rickthebrew said:
yeah i dunno why the carrot was so cloudy - it did have some potato in it
Silly me, Wurzel's quite right about carrots not needing pectolase, but I think you've just answered your own question. You've got a starch haze.

IIRC that needs Amylozyme.

Rhubarb & Orange looks good, enjoy :cheers:

the rhubarb and orange is REALLY good!! I only made a gallon but i have enough rhubarb in the garden and from SWMBO`s mum to get another couple gallons on - it only took about six weeks to be ready too - i might cut back on the sugar just a little as my sg was 1110ish and it came down to 0990 so it`s around 15%! Any way i`ve got a couple gallons of plum and ginger bubbling away nicely and some blackberries coming my way to!!

sorry meant to ask what`s Amylozyme?

should of chilled two bottles!!

cheers moley! will get some for future use - it says it converts the starch to fermentable sugars which is even more of a bonus!!!

If I remember my GCSE biology right you've got amylase in your spit too. It's why if you chew bread for long enough it goes to taste sweet.

rickthebrew said:
so are you suggesting i spit in my wine !! :?
I cut and pasted this from somewhere :D

Starch in rice needs to be converted to fermentable sugar through saccharification in the first step of sake brewing. It is done by way of enzymes called amylases. Amylases are found in sprouted grains (the one from barley used for beer making is called malt). Amylases are also found in fungal microbes in nature. A specific strain of fungal microbes, Koji, was found useful in sake brewing and has been used for hundreds of years. Amylases can also be found in saliva for digestion of starchy foods in the body. Amylases from saliva were used for hydrolyzing grain starch to make alcoholic beverages all over the world. Many years ago it was common in some parts of Japan for unmarried females to chew rice kernels and spit them in a pot. The pot was placed in a warm place for the natural yeast to begin the fermentation process. The yielded alcoholic beverage was called "Chewed Sake."

quick question for wurzel - if i drill some holes in the top of my filter will this be the same as the vents in the newer model?

:wha:

No!

Hang on, I'll go try to google a picture....

..... I'm back, here you go:

vinbritevent.jpg

That little tit on the top is for a stubby little bit of syphon tube and a tap, makes it easier to get the thing started and vent any gas which might build up in the filter body.

(and I'd still like to know why that thing is eighteen quid plus p&p from Harris's own website, but £14.50 in their shop :wha: )

ok i won`t drill it then!! my filter was my dad`s so cost nothing and is as good as new - reckon it might be worth getting that bit if its only 3 to 4 pound (wurzel said you can just buy the vented bit) as it kept stopping when i filtered my carrot wine - it was a bit lumpy though !! :oops:

Rhubarb Wine

To make 1 gallon

2kg Rhubarb
1.4kg Sugar
2tsp Pectolase
1tsp All purpose wine yeast
1tsp Yeast nutrient

Method

Wash and cut the rhubarb into chunks, freeze overnight and then the next day defrost in a bucket or FV.
When it has defrosted add the sugar and leave for 24 - 36 hours.
Strain the rhubarb liquor into a demi-john, add some cold water to the rhubarb and swill around to remove
all of the liquid - add this to the demijohn. Top the demi-john up with water - but only 3/4 fill as when
fermentation starts it may overflow!
Also add the pectolase, yeast and nutrient. Fit an airlock.
When the fermentation has slowed down top the demi-john up with cooled boiled water.

I added the zest of two and juice of four oranges in with the rhubarb - i may knock the sugar back by 200g as its around 15%! Tastes great though - there`s pics and stuff on this thread

Latest posts

Back