Flow meter for mash sparge water?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baldbrewer said:
yes interesting... i think its probably rated to 80C as the above linked sensor from the same seller looks like that one without the lcd counter.

if it works beyond the stated temps it may need recalibrating or its accuracy could be inconsistent? tho may even just stop working if the blades expand with heat and stick and dont spin??.

its not a cheap punt, but could always be useful for filling the hlt accurately, (assuming zero loss to evaporation, and if you do a mash out its the last step so its just drain the hlt rather than measure out??

really wanted it for measuring mash liquor and sparge water as I've yet to hit the holy grail of 23L in the FV :pray:
despite having 36L in HLT at the start of batch. :wha:

Baldbrewer said:
really wanted it for measuring mash liquor and sparge water as I've yet to hit the holy grail of 23L in the FV :pray:

my trick for hitting the desired volume is a simple dipstick, i guestimate 2l for hop absorbtion and 1l for deadspace, and fill the boiler with 26l for a 23l target and fit a cabletie to my dipstick to mark the level.. when the boil down hits the top of the cable tie i chuck in the last 15min hops, and chiller and 1/4 of a clumping tab.. and 15mins later its just about spot on.. its hit n miss as to how long it takes, as i tend to boil on one element and give odd 10-15mins of a 2 element boil when it feels/looks right to do so.. generally with 2 - 3 2 element bursts i get a 70-90min boil time.

and as a result hit 21-23l quite successfully..

Baldbrewer said:
How much goes into the boiler, maybe your evaporation rate is to high?

I like to keep it simple as Fil says, a dipstick, nothing to go wrong ;) ...... I suppose you could lose it. :lol:
Again, if I want to check my flow rate, I time how long the flow takes to fill a 1 litre jug. :)
It just doesn't have to be complicted, expensive and lible to break down or leak, unless you like a hard life. :lol: :D
My method is to top up the boiler towards the end of the brew if I have lost more than I planned, checked as I say with a dip stick, mine is marked one side mash tun other side boiler.
:hmm: I would be totally in the do dos if I lost it I suppose, but only one to lose not two. :?
It your own game, everyone has there own ideas. :)
S

Back