Cheap & Simple Festive Mince Pie Inspired Brew...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

second2none

Reaction score
1 large jar of Morrisons Value Mincemeat (the sweet kind any brand will do fine) 80p
4.5L Water Free
400g White Sugar 50p
A couple grams of ale yeast 80p

Ok at first glances it sounds weird, but if you look at the ingredients:
Sugar, Apples, Currants, Sultanas, Raisins, Orange Peel, Lemon Peel,
Spices (cinnamon and nutmeg)

There was also vegetable suet, but lucky it floated to the top and I just used a sieve to remove it all! The only chemical addictive in it is Citric Acid which I remember adding to one of my turbo ciders so I'm not to worried about that!
Then just heated water with fill jar of mincemeat and added sugar,
let to cool a bit before adding yeast and transfuring to Demijohn..
job done!!

5ae0221ae3.jpg

Will sieve fruit out after about a week and rack a few times when seatled
Primed with 50g of sugar to gve it a nice strong fizz!
I'm hoping it will be about 5% but forgot to take a OG reading :shock:
It will be ready in about 2 weeks, anyone fancy a glass?

I did this recipe last Christmas and it went down an utter treat,
so much flavour, such a novelty, people couldnt beleive it was made from mince pie filling and stupidly cheap & easy!

Ten pints for £2.10 :drunk:

Too many nice recipies not enough time! Have already got a raspberryade lined up for the djs once the tc is done.

Just found another airlock in the drawer i'd forgotten about so looks like this plus a raspberryade next for crimbo.

Am I reading right that this should end up like a fizzy crimbo pudding turbo cider?

Mince pie wine... Sounds interesting.

I'm sure it'll turn out great since you got rid of all the suet :thumb:

I look forward to seeing how it turns out :party:

Just wondering why you chose an Ale yeast for this brew?

Courtesy of Delia..

• 8oz (225g) Bramley apples, cored and chopped small
    4 oz (110 g) shredded suet
    6oz (175 g) raisins
    4oz (110 g) sultanas
    4oz (110 g) currants
    4oz (110 g) whole mixed candied peel, finely chopped
    6oz (175 g) soft dark brown sugar
    grated zest and juice 1 orange
    grated zest and juice 1 lemon
    1 oz (25 g) whole almonds, cut into slivers
    2 level teaspoons mixed ground spice
    ¼ level teaspoon ground cinnamon
    good pinch freshly grated nutmeg
    3 tablespoons brandy

Omit the suet and up the sugar..

Actually.. just tip the Delia ingredient recipes (minus suet) into a bottle of supermarket value brandy. Leave for six weeks, strain and bottle. Use the leftover fruit for a cake.

It's not that different to my winter liqueur recipe this year..

I used ale yeast coz it was the only stuff knocking around and it worked magically,
Maybe most yeasts would work but I'd be worried that a wine yeast might leave
the brew too dry as my first version turned on nice and sweet without any need for artificial sweetners

And yes sourcing your own ingredients is the next logical step
But I like the way this method is cheap and easy to do,
Well feel free post your complete recipe if you decide to give it ago
And good luck!

:hmm: I really want a mince pie now!!

I posted separatly asking for suggestions as to what to do with a load of satsumas I have going spare. But, I'm just wondering to myself how they would go if added to this recepie? Hmmmmmm.

When i first read this i thought this would taste amazing hot and not fizzy. I dont suppose you tried it hot like a mulled cider

Suet free mincemeat
Suet free Mincemeat (Makes about 4lb/2kg0250g soft dark brown sugar,250ml medium dry cider,1kg cooking apples, peeled, halved and quartered,½ tsp mixed spice,½ tsp ground cinnamon,500g dried mixed fruit,75g glace cherries, roughly chopped,75g blanched almonds,zest & juice of ½ lemon6 tablespoons brandy (alternatively rum) ...I use pure apple juice instead of cider and add extra brandy as the preservative. If you cant get the dark brown sugar, I reduce grape pekmez in a saucepan and add normal sugar to taste. And I keep mine in the fridge after making it around the end of October. 1. Place the cider and the sugar in a large saucepan and heat gently.2. Add the roughly chopped apples to the saucepan and stir well.3. Add the remaining ingredients, apart from brandy (or rum). Simmer for around 30 minutes until the mixture is soft and pulpy.4. Meanwhile wash the jars well and sterilise. I usually do this by filling the jars with boiling water and putting the lids in a bowl of boiling water. I pour away the water just before filling each jar and immediately take the lid from the bowl and screw it on. Shake as much water from them as possible before filling.Alternatively put the jars in an oven set to 180oC/350oF/Gas 4 for 10 minutes. Be careful to put them on a dry surface when removing or they could crack. Lids can be placed in a small pan of boiling water. Shake as much water from the lids as possible before filling.5. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool for 5-10minutes. Stir in the brandy (or rum) and transfer to sterilised jars. Once the jars are filled and the lids well screwed on, invert them to improve the heat seal. Turn the jars the right way up once they are cool.6. This mincemeat can be used immediately after cooking if you wish, but improves with age and keeps well.

Use this for the brews instead of the suet one.

I only have wine yeast so maybe I can do it as a wine. Or can I do it as long as I don't kill the yeast? And how many grams of yeast did u use? I'm only pestering cos I have the ingredients waiting lol

Back