Building a Shed?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, after years of wanting one, and not being able to afford a bought one, i have decided to build one, as i am able to get the 'timber' from work!
The size of the plot i have available, if 19ft by 17ft, is this too big, personally, i think its gonna be great, i have always wanted a big shed, it will be fully insulated,and felted etc.

I'm looking at doing at kind of 'pub' inside, with a bar, darts, sofa's, small table and stools, flat screen tv, carpeted, complete with wood burner in the corner.
I want it to be somewhere where me and the wife and some freinds can go and have a 'drink'.
Whats everyones opinion?, have you something like this?, if so, how about posting some pics of your 'shed'.

Must admit my head was working overtime this morning, visualising it in my head!
Like a schoolboy again!!!
Work commencing in spring!!

I have built my own conservatory and shed in the past but not as big as your idea! My daughters boyfriend worked in a woodyard so I got the the wood cheap. It was 3.5metres by 3metres with a polycarbonate roof. I made the frame from 2"x2" planed softwood that I treated with preserver. I cut all the joints with a handsaw, and I would advise anyone to get a bench saw as it was hard going.
With the shed, again I used 2"x2" frame and covered it with wood cladding that was on special offer at B&Q. Again a tip is that cheap thin cladding warps and curls.
My daughters Father-in-Law built his own bar in his garden (and a reproduction forge to house his blacksmiths fathers tools) It was brilliant to sit in his bar and have a real pint pulled from an authentic looking setup. Good luck with your project :clap:

excellent , i'm a chippy you can do this easily on your own , no worries . As long as you have a few tools and time on your hands i don't see why not .
Now design of frame depends on covering your using such as tongue and grove or feather edge boards but my bro did his nice he used sterling boards and then painted the exterior with (for the lift of me i can't remember the name , it's like a thick paint with lumps in it and looks a little like artex and is for exterior use and for wood , ) my bro's shed was great , good luck and yes if you buy all the gear yourself it would be about the same price as buying a shed however a bought shed is very weak while your own should be well built and solid. :thumb:

Gonna be cladding internally and externally, as well as insulating between.
I've got a bit of digging to finish of as my garden ain't level, bout 9 foot to level width, but thats no problem, missus aint too happy as its going to block her view of the garden....well trees at the top, but, she don't take any interest in doing the garden, so the way i see it, it's my domain, she's got the house! lol

Ok heres, a rough pic of the land, the soil part is where i dug out level last year,the grass up to the white post is where the wall will be, and the other side is where the white washing basket will be, am in process of digging up the rest of the grass!!!

DSC01084.jpg

The grass to the middle left, i have to take out another foot of it!!

OK, i have done enough for today, i have dug out all the grass, and then dug out what seems like 2 ton of soil, i have semi-levelled it for now,
Enough for today, done a lot in 3.5hrs i think, work again on it in the week, waiting to hear confirmation to collect load of wood from work!

DSC01085.jpg

It's a pity i got to take out the tree near the shed, lovely cherries it has on it!

update:

Been given some round tables and foot stools, a table and chair, and one of those 'benches' that go up against the wall, as well as some handpulls, all from one landlord, and he was the first one i asked!
Slowly but surely!

Hi falafael
just spotted this about you building a pubshed, sounds like it's going to be brilliant when done.
my pubshed has evolved over the years and is a great place to drink my homebrew, these are oldish pictures now and some things have been
altered and I have now aquired proper pub chairs and stools, google pubshed dev :drink:

Have got slabs for base,and have been given 20 pallets, 5ft by 3ft in size!, thats the flooring sorted!
Collection on saturday!

DSC01089.jpg

The patio slabs are coming up, and am putting some decking down!

Short update, have decided to shorten the width of the shed to 15ft, as the roofs going to be problematic, due to the width, and taking into consideration of snow, i think its best, still going for a long length.

Have you thought about just putting a mid span support in it? A row of columns and a beam, 100mm x 100mm columns at max 2.4m centres and 150mm x 50mm beam, should do it. Shame to make it smaller..

;)

just another update:

managed to get 60 wooden pallets from work, as well as 40 plastic pallets, also got a door for the shed.
Am waiting for the ok to take 60+ chipboard boards (pallet size).

Also have been given 10 mdf boards too, and work have allowed me in old offices to take off 20 electric sockets, as well as the wiring for the electric as well.

Thing is, its saving me money, for which i need for the roof, need to chat with them, as they are demolishing a office, and there are lots of walls that are 6ft plywood sheeting, so they would come in very handy too!

All should be delivered next weekend, weather permitting!

alawlor66430 said:
Are you gonna tile the roof?

I thought of that, but the weight would be a lot, factor in snow, and it's a lot.
I'm going for a apex roof, with felt on, and 'eventually' on top of the felt, i'm putting corrugated plastic sheets, adding to the protection.
Got friend to do the roof

Latest posts

Back