Building a Shed?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adrianmole72 said:
It certainly is a beast ! It'll be tops when it's done..and if anyone DID moan, you could pacify them with beer !

LOL, thanks mr mole!, to be honest, i have always wanted a big shed like this, just took me 20 years to get to it, things in life only come round once, so grab it with both hands and don't let go till you go it!!

Once its got stuff inside, watch that room disappear!

As for the roof, yes , i will get someone, but knowing me, i will have a go by myself too!
The cladding am looking at either shiplap, or 0.4 cut logs!
Keeping my mind open upto yet bout the cladding!

You may get a draft through them pallets... lol

Only kidding its coming along very well!

Roof windows is a good idea, will have a think on that one, decided to forgo the plywood sheeting on the outside, and instead, staple plastic sheeting all the way round, and see about using tongue and groove cladding instead, may be cheaper than plywood sheeting, certainly look better too.

Just playing with idea's still to get things done, have got a week of at the end of the month too, so should be able to get cracked on too!!

I got a response from the council about my application to build a 12x8 shed, they said no that's to big but we've granted you permission for to 2 6x8 sheds instead hmmmm, fife council at their best.

alawlor66430 said:
I got a response from the council about my application to build a 12x8 shed, they said no that's to big but we've granted you permission for to 2 6x8 sheds instead hmmmm, fife council at their best.

That is bizarre logic!

Can you build them right next to each other and "forget" to build the walls in the middle?

My plan is to build them on one footprint with one roof and divide them with a basic **** poor wall just until its been checked (if it gets checked) then take the wall down, it doesn't make sense to me but what can you do lol.

BrotherMalice said:
I assume you will need 2 doors?

if this is the case just put the door on the left hand shed on the right corner and the right shed on the left corner, hey presto, a nice double dorr in the middle :)

You could build them 3 ft apart with a shared roof to keep the rain off the bit in the gap, then after its been checked you could fill in the gap between them with something.....ahem temporary. Then it'll be 15'x8'. That'd be a proper middle finger to the council.

Zedilly said:
You could build them 3 ft apart with a shared roof to keep the rain off the bit in the gap, then after its been checked you could fill in the gap between them with something.....ahem temporary. Then it'll be 15'x8'. That'd be a proper middle finger to the council.
You have just moved to número UNO on the old Christmas card list. That gets me the best of both worlds, it presents itself undoubtably to the council as 2 sheds and gives me (after a few alterations) a bigger shed, happy days !!

Don't put the two sheds together with the valley in the middle, you'll never keep it water proof in heavy rain, better to get 2 'Pent' sheds and put them together back to back, or with a 'slight' gap between them, then the peak is at the join.

The roof is indeed going to be interesting, yes i will be putting in support posts for it, and your right, it is a large area to cover, still going for a pitched roof, going to be raising the 'door' wall in next few days!

Ok, last few days i have been strengthening it a bit more, i have made the door to a single entry only door, as i didn't want double doors in it.
I've been sorting the top of the back wall out with the level of it, and have started to staple plastic sheeting to one side!

Roof is consisting of 10 6x2 beams, the work begins on that in 1 week!

Picture update:

Right then,i have stapled plastic sheeting to the outside of the shed, this will for a barrier for any damp, and will also help with the insulating of the shed, i will be putting boardin on the top of the plastic sheeting.

I have also been putting in more coaching bolts and rods to help with the strength.

Next job will be the roof, which is going on this week coming, along with the boarding on top, and possibly felting at the same time!

Waiting for hear about some 55 or so pallet boards for free!

Back