Pretty Basic Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuggledPrune

Reaction score
I'm currently doing an IPA kit and have bought some EKG hops.

So was thinking 2 weeks in primary, racking to secondary with 30 or 40 grams of EKG for a week.

Does that sound about right?

Thanks in advance.

Personaly I would forget the secondary and add the ekg at the one week stage, most of the fermentation would of finished by then....Just my take...

yep great. wrapping them in muslin or something will mean theyre easy to get out. its better to dry hop in clear beer too, so i suggest racking with gelatine, it will clear it in 24 hours :)

Cheers folks, so a week is ok? I've got a hop sock (If that's the right terminology) so no worries for the clean up..

Think I will rack to secondary. Guess everyone has their preference but always made sense to me to get it off the trub.

While I'm at it, I got a cheapo geordie Scottish Export kit, was thinking of chucking it onto the yeast cake. My thoughts that the yeast came from a better quality 2 can kit so will be better than the one that came with it? Does that sound ok or will it be the wrong type of yeast? I don't imagine either will have a particularly special yeast....

Last Qu.... will EKG go with that style of beer?

Trub wont affect in such a short time, imo secondary just introduces another chance of getting an infection....

PuggledPrune said:
While I'm at it, I got a cheapo geordie Scottish Export kit, was thinking of chucking it onto the yeast cake. My thoughts that the yeast came from a better quality 2 can kit so will be better than the one that came with it? Does that sound ok or will it be the wrong type of yeast? I don't imagine either will have a particularly special yeast....

Last Qu.... will EKG go with that style of beer?

yep, also fine. just make sure no boiling water comes into contact with said trub or you'll kill the yeast. some people swear by reusing yeast, plenty of them certainly get better after one use. EKG should be fine but I think scottish heavy generally only has bittering hops. that said with the price and quality of the kit, any improvement is an improvement :lol:

it's also worth brewing it short (20L instead of 23L) for a great quality improvement.

a week is great for dry hopping, Stone dry hop twice for a week at a time. I found a week was pretty ideal, it's likely to require some ageing before the hop flavour is clean. there's really no problem with a secondary, particularly with a beer because the huge amount of co2 generated will protect it, but if you do want to avoid it you can gently stir in any finings and dry hop in there. tomato tomatoe though.

Back