If I rack away from my yeast, how will fizz develop?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swifty

Reaction score
I've got a few DJ's of WOW fermenting with some champagne yeast that I would like to end up fizzy.

If I rack them off well and the wine looks very clear in the bottles, will the (invisible) background yeast left in the wine be enough to give it some fizz?

If so, how long would such a small amount of yeast take to build up a good fizz? (At about 10degC)

yep it will. but your champagne will be dry if you take this route - the only way to add sweetness and carbonation in the bottle (without expensive equipment) is to use artificial sweetener. it's fine for taking the edge off imo.

you need to leave it in the warm for a few weeks for the pressure to build up, then at least a few weeks in the cool to absorb the pressure into the beer, meaning fizzy champagne. i'm sure people will have preferences on time here, but you should age wine for a few months at least anyway.

alternatively, I just usually skip degassing on my Rosé's - it leaves a few off smells, but it also leaves a little carbonation, just a tingle - which is enough for me!

The microscopic yeast should be enough as long as it hasn't been left for 6 months or so the viability may be a little shot from my experience. :thumb:

Thanks guys. :)

How about if I also clear it with finings? Would this leave too few yeast?

RobWalker said:
you should age wine for a few months at least anyway.
I'm intending to leave them to condition for a few months, whether all the bottles survive that long depends on my willpower. I bottled my first batch of wine a couple of weeks ago, intending to leave these for 3 months before touching them, but have just caved in in the last half an hour and poured a glass from the end half a bottle I'd bottled in a screw cap. :whistle:

evanvine said:
In my opinion you should age White wine for 1 year and Red wine for 2-4 years.
Noted for future reference. Although I'll be honing my skills for a year or so before I'm confident enough in a batch to invest a year or two in conditioning.

I'm the same, swifty. Most of my wine "ages" for 2 months including fermentation hahah. Reportedly the tea bag wines are ready to drink much quicker than juice wines!

Latest posts

Back