My first proper go...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IceColdRum

Reaction score
So I've just started my first brew, I chose to do a Ribena Cider looks good so far only thing I'm unsure of is it says to add the 4th litre of Apple juice when the yeast layer dissipates so when iss this? what am I looking for? :wha:

Last edited by a moderator:
oldbloke said:
About the end of day5, basically. Otherwise it's almost certain a lot of gunk will climb out through your airlock. They're a pain to clean if you let it set.

Many thanks :cheers:

Just checked on my pride and joy and there's some foaming action on top and about one bubble through the airlock every minute, this is so exciting :party: Now to place an add in the local classifieds and on the local newsagents noticeboard for some Demijohns and I'll be away :D

oldbloke said:
Oh, is it in a bucket now? If it has at least a couple of inches headspace /after/ adding the last litre, it can go in anytime. The gunk-through-airlock thing mostly applies to overfilled demijohns

Nah it's in a Demijohn I managed to get one from the charity shop I volunteer at, who knows how long it was in the store room for I've never seen any come in their like gold dust but I refuse to pay £5 for one from the RSPCA shop who had some in last week :shock:

if you are struggling for demis then just go to a large supermarket and buy a load of 5 litre bottled water use the water for brewing or drinking :wha: and then drill the lid to take an airlock et voila a cheap demijohn
ps
we holiday in shanklin every year so i expect a invite for a personal tasting lol
:cheers:

Been checking on my handy work and it's bubbling away nicely with that lava effect it's bubbling in the airlock about every 5 seconds :)

ugejamyt.jpg

Arranged to pick up 8 Demijohns tomorrow for just £20, bargain! :thumb: he had 34 but I don't have room for that many...

IceColdRum said:
Arranged to pick up 8 Demijohns tomorrow for just £20, bargain! :thumb: he had 34 but I don't have room for that many...

Picked them up tonight, I have to say cleaning 8 demijohns is tiring work :nah: still all clean now and even had time to put another cider on this time Cherry! :party:

Thanks godfrey that's pretty much what I did most were reasonably clean anyway one was a bit grim but after a good soak and scrub it was sparkling :D

Just put on my first wines a couple of WOW variants Pomegranate + WGJ & Cranberry + WGJ :party: I have to say it was all going splendidly until I opened the wine tannin with a bit too much force... that stuff reeks! I can still smell it on my hands :sick:

Hi so I've been so busy since I started all my wine that I haven't had a chance to really look after it and I actually forgot about them which was about two months ago... will they still be okay to move them to the second DJ? even though they've been sat for so long? just tasted my Cherry Cider and it was very nice! :cheers:

Wine is very forgiving with time. no problem with 2 months. Rack the wine and stabilise. Add finings then rack and bottle or rack to another dj for storage.

so here I am over a year later :doh:

the wines all seem fine but the Cherry Cider has this thin white/opaque layer on top and the airlock was dry... is it mould? planning to transfer to a new demojohn this week and hope for the best

Back