Remove stubborn glue/labels from bottle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGJIM72

Landlord.
Reaction score
Finally sussed a method for getting off the really stubborn glue from wine bottles (after the paper label has been removed)

Good soak in hot soapy water,then cordless drill with wire brush attachment. (Obviously not too fast & with only minimal pressure & make sure bottle is gripped firmly & cushioned).Goggles may be advisable.

For the really tough ones I splashed out and went for "sticky stuff remover". I got mine from Lakeland but I am sure Aldi sold it a while ago. Got a tip, probably from this forum to fill the bottle with boiling water which weakens the glue and enables you to pull the label off, then I apply sticky stuff remover with a cloth then rub vigorously with a scourer, it doesn't take too long.

I bought 'Sticky Stuff Remover' too, brilliant stuff, highly recommended and not too expensive, I got 2 bottles to save on the P&P
I soak my bottles in hot soapy water first, most come off like this but then use the sticky stuff remover to remove the stubborn glue

Over night soak to get labels off then it's WD40 and a bench grinder with polishing mop attachment makes light work of the residue :)

Back