Brewdog punk IPA clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howyoubrewin

Regular.
Reaction score
I am trying to track down a recipe similar to the brewdog punk IPA that i could brew with the equipment at my disposal. I only have a 12L stewpot and no mash tun so an AG recipe is out but if anyone has an idea of the specialty grains used and to what quantity, the help would be much appreciated. Again with the hops i am sure it is simcoe and nelson that are used but if anyone can help me on quantity and addition times that would be great. In short if anyone knows the partial recipe to the punk IPA, fire it on here and i'd be much obliged. Cheers!

This clone recipe for punk uses just Maris otter..

http://www.craftedpours.com/homebrew-re ... rew-recipe

So looks straight forward assuming it's reasonably close. And it matches the info on the Brewdog website...

Never Mind the ******** this is the real ****.

ABV:5.6%. OG:1053. IBU's:45

Malts:Marris Otter Extra Pale Malt

Hops:Chinook, Simcoe, Ahtanum, Nelson Sauvin

Twist:Hopped with bucket loads of our favourite hops

Any idea how much water i will require to steep 11lbs grains as it doesn't specify in the recipe and this will be my first foray into grain brewing. Cheers

It sounds like you don't have the gear to mash 11 pounds of grains, and you need to mash Maris Otter. Mashing involves soaking grains in water held at a temp between about 60 and 70C. You would need about 12 to 15 litres for that much grain. You would need more water to then rinse, or sparge, the mash after it is drained.

So you could...

A. Buy the gear. A big pot and a grain bag is the cheapest option.
B. Use extract instead of grain. About 3kg of dry light extract would do it.
C. Do a mixture of the two. Mash some grain, maybe 2kg, in your stewpot with a bag, 2kg would need approx 5 to 6 litres water for the mash, and about the same again for sparging, bit more maybe. Add extract when you've collected all your wort, and boil. You have a problem though as you need to boil at least two thirds of your final volume, and preferably all or most of it. So you either need one very big pot, or two around 15 litres each. I use two, which is not the norm, but it works well on a cooker. And I often use different hops and yeast, maybe steep some grains, and make two different beers.

howyoubrewin said:
I am trying to track down a recipe similar to the brewdog punk IPA that i could brew with the equipment at my disposal. I only have a 12L stewpot and no mash tun so an AG recipe is out but if anyone has an idea of the specialty grains used and to what quantity, the help would be much appreciated. Again with the hops i am sure it is simcoe and nelson that are used but if anyone can help me on quantity and addition times that would be great. In short if anyone knows the partial recipe to the punk IPA, fire it on here and i'd be much obliged. Cheers!

here is my clone ish
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=47037&start=20

aiming for 50 ish ibu

75mins
5g chinook pellet
5g citra pellet
20g target pellet

15MIN 1/2 whirflock

10 min
25 Ahtanum leaf
25g Vics Secret pellet

0 min seap at 80c for 30 mins
20g Ahtanum leaf
20g Vics Secret pellet
10G simcoe

only thing i left out was the tiny amount of biscuit malt which is added at 3% of grain bill
single mash at 63c
dry hop at 15c for 5 to 9 days
with
75 gram nelson sauvin leaf
55g Ahtanum leaf
55g Vics Secret pellets
:thumb:

I think option C will be best for me as i can get access to a bigger pot and already have a big grain bag. The recipe called for 11.3 lbs maris otter to if i opt for 2kg grain how much dme would be recommendable? You'll have to excuse my cluelessness.

11.3 pounds = 5.13kg.

If you use 2kg of grain that leaves 3.13kg of grain equivalent needed, and as you need approx 0.6kg dry extract per kg of grain you actually need 1.88kg dry extract. You could use 2kg for a slightly higher gravity. But this depends on how efficient your mash is

You will start to realise how cheap grain brewing is. And how good the beer is. Stop now if you don't want to get obsessed.......!

Summary. Use 2kg grain and 2kg dry light malt extract.

I had a crack at this 2 weeks ago, I put together the following AG recipe after researching (stealing from) other online recipes and looking at the Brewdog site:

OG 1053
(FG ~1011)
ABV ~5.6%
IBU 45

5.3kg Maris Otter

10g Chinook @90
29g Ahtanum @15
15g Nelson Sauvin @15
15g Simcoe @10

Safale US-05 yeast

30g Chinook, 30g Nelson, 30g Simcoe - dry hop for 5 days

It has been in the FV for 2 weeks at 19C. I'll be racking this to secondary tonight for dry hopping. It smelt fantastic during the brew.

I've just bottled an option C above punkish extract version following another recipe.

1 kg MO steep at 65c for 45 mins
3kg light dme

40g columbus pellets 90 mins
28g ahtanum pellets 0 mins - 30 min aroma steep
28g amarillo pellets dry hop for 7 days

Used whitelabs wlp007
IBU : 50

OG : 1.058
FG : 1.012
19l
Very tasty from the sample while bottling.

Brewdog say they use Chinook, Simcoe, Ahtanum, Nelson Sauvin.

You can get Chinook, Simcoe and Ahtanum from worcesterhopshop and other places. Nelson are tricky at the moment. thebrewshop seems to have them, expensive though.

clibit said:
Brewdog say they use Chinook, Simcoe, Ahtanum, Nelson Sauvin.

You can get Chinook, Simcoe and Ahtanum from worcesterhopshop and other places. Nelson are tricky at the moment. thebrewshop seems to have them, expensive though.

get them all here including nelson but simcoe is running low by the looks

http://uk.ebid.net/items/ramengltddean
£21 gets you a mix of 5 hops of your choice 500grams delivered :thumb:

clibit said:
This clone recipe for punk uses just Maris otter..

http://www.craftedpours.com/homebrew-re ... rew-recipe

So looks straight forward assuming it's reasonably close. And it matches the info on the Brewdog website...

Never Mind the ******** this is the real ****.

ABV:5.6%. OG:1053. IBU's:45

Malts:Marris Otter Extra Pale Malt

Hops:Chinook, Simcoe, Ahtanum, Nelson Sauvin

Twist:Hopped with bucket loads of our favourite hops

the real McCoy has a tad of biscuit malt in it didn't have it in at the time of me brew and was short of chinook so replaced it

side by side tasting of my one and the real thing was the biscuit taste in the background was missing

my next punk number 3 will be

D96FA811-A2AD-449F-A5FF-32A509DFBE57_zps2mqaqgu0.jpg
[/url][/quote]
single mash 63C 90mins
6.5kg maris
200g carapils
150 gram biscuit malt

90mins
25g chinook pellet

15MIN 1/2 whirflock

10 min
25 Ahtanum leaf
25g Vics Secret pellet

0 min seaped for 20 mins at 80C
20g Ahtanum leaf
20g Vics Secret pellet
30G simcoe

dry hop in secondary
75 gram nelson sauvin leaf
55g Ahtanum leaf
55g Vics Secret pellets
30G simcoe

safale 05
:thumb:

clibit said:
According to the Brewdog website it's just Maris Otter.
watch thier head brewers vid on you tube for more info
This 5.6% trans-atlantic fusion IPA is light golden in colour with tropical fruits and light caramel on the nose. The palate soon becomes assertive and resinous with the New Zealand hops balanced by the biscuit malt. The finish is aggressive and dry with the hops emerging over the warming alcohol.
http://www.brewdog.com/product/punk-ipa

:drink: :thumb:

Hi guys this is my 3rd go at all grain and planning to do this recipe using ingredients below, I have all hops on order but i wondered if I could I substitute safale 05 with safale 04, mangrove jack m44, mangrove jacks m07 or gervin GV12? If none of these would be a good substitute I will order some Safale 05.

Many thanks

OG 1053
(FG ~1011)
ABV ~5.6%
IBU 45

5.3kg Maris Otter

10g Chinook @90
29g Ahtanum @15
15g Nelson Sauvin @15
15g Simcoe @10

Safale US-05 yeast

Safale 04 will be ok ish
But I think it will mask the hops a wee bit more than 05
Dry hop like loads
Order some 05

My clone is fantastic
Apart from missing the biscuit malt which is if you want as near as possible is a must

And of course massive dry hop
:thumb: :cheers:

Ordered my safale us05,

Planning to make this in few days I'm a bit confused on how much water to put in the mash tun and then how much to fly sparge? Please someone advise me using this recipe..

Cheers

OG 1053
(FG ~1011)
ABV ~5.6%
IBU 45

5.3kg Maris Otter

10g Chinook @90
29g Ahtanum @15
15g Nelson Sauvin @15
15g Simcoe @10

Safale US-05 yeast

Francis said:
Ordered my safale us05,

Planning to make this in few days I'm a bit confused on how much water to put in the mash tun and then how much to fly sparge? Please someone advise me using this recipe..

Cheers

OG 1053
(FG ~1011)
ABV ~5.6%
IBU 45

5.3kg Maris Otter

10g Chinook @90
29g Ahtanum @15
15g Nelson Sauvin @15
15g Simcoe @10

Safale US-05 yeast

i got the 5.60 % by using 6.5 kg grain minus the biscuit but with carapils

by mash temperature 63C

16 LITRES LIQUOR IN TUN AD GRAIN BILL UP TO 7 KG GET TO 63C OR 62C SINGLE MASH
2.5 litres to kilo of grain

FLY SPARGE
MASH OUT 74C STOP SPARGING AT 0.990 which is actually a temperature corrected reading of 1.008
THEN YOU HAVE YOUR TOTAL :drink:

:drink:

Back