Basic question about airlocks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawson

Reaction score
Ey up chaps/chapesses,

I'm just wondering about me airlock - It is an S bubble airlock, and I was wondering what quantity of liquid to put in it to get the best effect - also I've seen reports of people using vodka, starsan, water, boiled water etc,

What do you use, have you had any adverse effects from owt, can you point me in the direction of an idiots guide to airlocks etc.

Cheers!

Qty wise I think you shoudl fill them until they are equal in the middle bubble both sides (this gets pushed obvioulsy) by gas.

Personally I don't bother with them .. I fit my FV lids and the gass escapes so i put a bung in the grommet hole

Ey up chaps/chapesses,

I'm just wondering about me airlock - It is an S bubble airlock, and I was wondering what quantity of liquid to put in it to get the best effect - also I've seen reports of people using vodka, starsan, water, boiled water etc,

What do you use, have you had any adverse effects from owt, can you point me in the direction of an idiots guide to airlocks etc.

Cheers!

Chuck it in the bin, it might get recycled into an FV :rofl:

I have a few 2-piece airlocks that I use star-san in. Sometimes the foam will overflow the airlock and they need cleaning and resetting with more star-san.

I have seen the S bubblers and they look OK.

I have seen some 3-piece airlocks as well.

I have seen people use blow-off tubes on youtube (or is that u-tubes on blow-off tube ;-) ) From carboys they just seem to jam a thick tube in the top, from buckets they seem to use a thinner tube rammed over the top of one part of a 2 or 3 piece airlock - the tubes run to a jar with some star-san or water in them.

I am interested in the comment about not using them at all - don't you risk contamination or if you bung them, explosions?

Anyway I would be interested hear people's views on what are the pros/cons of each approach.

Cheers,
Laurence.

I have a few 2-piece airlocks that I use star-san in. Sometimes the foam will overflow the airlock and they need cleaning and resetting with more star-san.

I have seen the S bubblers and they look OK.

I have seen some 3-piece airlocks as well.

I have seen people use blow-off tubes on youtube (or is that u-tubes on blow-off tube ;-) ) From carboys they just seem to jam a thick tube in the top, from buckets they seem to use a thinner tube rammed over the top of one part of a 2 or 3 piece airlock - the tubes run to a jar with some star-san or water in them.

I am interested in the comment about not using them at all - don't you risk contamination or if you bung them, explosions?

Anyway I would be interested hear people's views on what are the pros/cons of each approach.

Cheers,
Laurence.

Never ever BUNG them:nono:

I use a random amount of water and a pinch of Sodium Metabisulphate (aka Campden tablet). While the fermentation is fierce I leave the airlock empty, since it empties anyway.

Cheers,
Laurence.

I've never used an airlock. I just spray star san on some cling film stick it on the top of the FV and make sure it's held in place with a big lastic band. Added bonus I can look into my FV anytime I feel like without risking exposure to nasties floating in

Back