Solar pump

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJT

Reaction score
Hi

I need some advice with what solar pump to buy. They come in

12 volt
8 watt/8ltrs per min/3 mtrs
6 watt /6ltrs per min/2 mtres
14 watt/11ltrs per min/5 mtrs

There is also a 24 volt version.

http://shop.solarproject.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=10

I will be making around 70l brews maximum but mostly around 30-50l. I will use the pump to recirculate the mash and cooling using a plate chiller. I will also eventually use it for whirlpool.

I was going to just buy the 14 watt/11 ltrs per mins/5 mtrs version as I plan to vary the voltage to alter the pump speed.

Can anyone advise if they would choose a different type and why? Is the 24 volt version a good option?

Cheers

Hi
Not offering advice per se, but examples might be useful. I have 2 of the pumps, from Chinese Ebay (or Amazon) sellers. They're 12v 500ma. I run-off from the mash tun with one whilst sparging. It pumps from a run-off vessel to the boiler, from floor to worktop height. I have to reduce the voltage to 7.5 to maintain reasonable parity with sparge flow at 1L per minute. The pump is just out of shot in this pic:

The other is attached to my cfc, and pumps cooled wort into the FV. At full 12v, it clears 45L in about 25 mins. I have to reduce the voltage, and allow a longer time in summer, when tap water temp is higher.

How high will you need to lift - more than 2m? Too much power could flood your grains when re-circulating, whereas too low a voltage may not provide enough lift. I hope someone with one of the higher wattage pumps can comment. For cooling, I'd say the quicker the better, provided your plate chiller can keep-up.

Hope that helps

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for the info.

It's unlikely I will need more than 2 m lift but from what you are saying being able to vary the power is the key point. So the 14 watt version and being able to vary the power output sounds the best option. Will allow for precision when controlling the required flow but also increased speed when cooling

Curious how you would run a 12v pump from the mains? I was just looking at pumps yesterday on Alibaba (a chinese site), I wasn't planning on buying but it got me thinking about things like a Grainfather that do everything in one.

Curious how you would run a 12v pump from the mains? I was just looking at pumps yesterday on Alibaba (a chinese site), I wasn't planning on buying but it got me thinking about things like a Grainfather that do everything in one.

Plenty of options. Chances are you might have a spare power supply kicking around the house from an old modem/router. Or you can get them new from somewhere like CPC

http://cpc.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/s...12v power supply&pageSize=25&showResults=true

Yeh, a switchable power supply is very useful, but you can also control flow rates if the pump outputs through a ball valve or similar, which can just be turned down from full flow (NOT an input - mustn't starve the pump). Mine's shop bought, but there's loads on Amazon and Ebay (Alibaba is for wholesale imports). Many brewers use tattoo gun power supplies (from the same sources), as they have a variable (as opposed to switchable) power output. More expensive, tho'.

Cheers,

Chris

I use the 14W ones. As mentioned, you can always choke the output to limit the amount it pumps.

Lots of a buy direct via Ebay recommendations; probably cheaper but the guy at "Solar Project" does give good advice and exchanges which you wont get from China!

And they are cheap! I've two because it was much cheaper (and more convenient) to have another pump than buy all the (expensive) diverters and other bits of plumbing to accommodate a single pump.

But! I don't risk anything but clean water through them (sparging, heat exchanger, etc.). They are tiny and will probably bung up with the merest hint of debris (grain, hops, etc.). I use a chunker pump for that. But others will argue.

There are more "designed for purpose" offerings about too. E.g. have a look at http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/17-pumps.

+1 for Solar Project. Genuine bloke whose totally customer focused. I got the 12v (14w) pump for whirl-pooling in a 40L kettle (23L brews). It worked well, but a PITA I thought. Went back to letting things settle by gravity. Should work well for recirculating though.

Yeh, a switchable power supply is very useful, but you can also control flow rates if the pump outputs through a ball valve or similar, which can just be turned down from full flow (NOT an input - mustn't starve the pump). Mine's shop bought, but there's loads on Amazon and Ebay (Alibaba is for wholesale imports). Many brewers use tattoo gun power supplies (from the same sources), as they have a variable (as opposed to switchable) power output. More expensive, tho'.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris, is it something like this you mean?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SainSonic-Digital-Tattoo-Supply-Machine/dp/B0093VFM46

That's the sort of thing

But! I don't risk anything but clean water through them (sparging, heat exchanger, etc.). They are tiny and will probably bung up with the merest hint of debris (grain, hops, etc.).

Been using 2 for a couple of years to fill the boiler and FV, so pumping wort every time. Flush thoroughly with hot water after use, and no probs so far (not wanting to tempt fate or anything!).

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back