Cask options

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup ,that's what you call a cask and us call a pressure barrel,but IMO don't buy that budget one with the small cap as they split over time,source yourself a king keg or better still a Cornelius stainless keg then sort out how you want to gas it and don't go down the small bulbs of*gas.too*expensive

Not one to split hairs. Bottles mentioned where? You and us? Please, if you are going to reply to posts, do it in a way that is a)not possibly offensive and b)correct.

And editing posts , such as I am doing now, in response to posts subsequent to the one that has given rise to questions, is, in itself, questionable.

Here goes

Cask beer - 'Real Ale' - low carbonation (not flat!!!) as not served under pressure. Cask is open to air so only stays in good condition for a couple of day.

Keg beer - corny keg or similar metal keg - carbonation can be quite high as served under gas pressure (usually CO2). Carbonation largely dependant on gas pressure. Think Devils Backbone in Weatherspoon.

Keg beer - Pressure Barrel - can be used as cask without additional CO2 but need to drink quick. With additional CO2 will last much longer but will not have the same level of carbonation as the corny kegs as PBs struggle to hold more than 10psi.

Beer in pressure barrels will generally be lower carbonation than bottles but beer in cornies can achieve a similar level as bottled beers.
For me this is the attraction of cornies as I like my beer with a high degree of carbonation.
Of course you can have lower carbed beer in a corny with low gas pressure

First off the OP mentioned he bottled,secondly he called them casks but then linked kegs in a subsequent post, and lastly I only edit to change wrong words and to keep from adding more posts into the thread.if that is unsatisfactory to you as a mod I will retire from this forum as I think your answers to me are as pedantic as my obsession to correct the overlooked predictive texts of my phone

Here goes

Cask beer - 'Real Ale' - low carbonation (not flat!!!) as not served under pressure. Cask is open to air so only stays in good condition for a couple of day.

Keg beer - corny keg or similar metal keg - carbonation can be quite high as served under gas pressure (usually CO2). Carbonation largely dependant on gas pressure. Think Devils Backbone in Weatherspoon.

Keg beer - Pressure Barrel - can be used as cask without additional CO2 but need to drink quick. With additional CO2 will last much longer but will not have the same level of carbonation as the corny kegs as PBs struggle to hold more than 10psi.

Beer in pressure barrels will generally be lower carbonation than bottles but beer in cornies can achieve a similar level as bottled beers.
For me this is the attraction of cornies as I like my beer with a high degree of carbonation.
Of course you can have lower carbed beer in a corny with low gas pressure

Thanks Dads_Ale- this is a great answer and has cleared up a lot for me.

Just need to decide which one to go for now! ;)

Just one final question - if I do go for a pressure barrel and use CO2, once I have drawn the first pint, how long can I expect the rest of the barrel to last before it goes off?

Cheers,
JT

I reckon I'm going to go for a pressure barrel.

Just one final question - if I do go for a pressure barrel and use CO2, once I have drawn the first pint, how long can I expect the rest of the barrel to last before it goes off?

Cheers,
JT

A lot longer than a cask as the co2 protects your ale :thumb: months if you are a slow drinker :grin:

What is 'unsatisfactory' to me , as I thought I had pointed out, is the 'you and us' statement. I don't actually think I could have made it much more clear. You can change your posts as much as you like, I will always see what was originally posted. As for predictive texts, 'you' never comes up as 'us', nor 'casks' to 'kegs'. Not pedantic, statement of fact.

Cheers,
JT
You don't need the gas when you first prime the barrel as the sugar will wake up the yeast and produce co2 and a lot of the time to there will be a sufficiency to serve most of the beer especially in summer

Cheers,
JT

I'm afraid I can't answer that one very well as I don't really use PBs.
But I do have a 12ltre one connected to my hand pump and a cask breather and the last beer lasted a week and was still fine. The cask breather supplies CO2 at atmospheric pressure so the beer would go flat over time.

The main thing with PBs is to check for leaks before filling with beer. I would fill with water and add some CO2 and see what happens.

Cheers,
JT

After about 1/3 to 1/2 of the barrel, I use a co2 cartridge to re-pressurise it. You start to notice the pints pulling a lot slower. Make sure you buy extra cap washers/o-rings for it, these tend to deform easily and need replacing quite often. Every time mines couldn't hold pressure it's been down to the cap o-ring.

What is 'unsatisfactory' to me , as I thought I had pointed out, is the 'you and us' statement. I don't actually think I could have made it much more clear. You can change your posts as much as you like, I will always see what was originally posted. As for predictive texts, 'you' never comes up as 'us', nor 'casks' to 'kegs'. Not pedantic, statement of fact.
I can't understand why the you and us part of the post is fretting you,the you was a reference to the OP using the word cask when he clearly meant keg so he's not familiar with the terminology,the us referred to experienced brewers on here who know the difference, if you find that annoying or offensive then I apologise but by doing that I am bewildered,predictive text does also not get keg mixed up with casks its the little words like if and of that get wrongly posted

'you was a reference to the OP using the word cask when he clearly meant keg so he's not familiar with the terminology,the us referred to experienced brewers on here'

So clearly pointing out differences of experience, as you perceive it. That is what I find offensive. Can you understand it now?

'you was a reference to the OP using the word cask when he clearly meant keg so he's not familiar with the terminology,the us referred to experienced brewers on here'

So clearly pointing out differences of experience, as you perceive it. That is what I find offensive. Can you understand it now?
Nope that's what this forums about isn't it,to try and help folk with the same interest ?which I was trying to do and at no time was I trying to belittle him.I must say you have a strange interpretation of the word offensive and this is clearly going nowhere so for the sake of this thread and my bewilderment I offer this as the OP surely knows what to do now
------------------------------------------------------------------------

At least now you understand it might have been, in your words, belittling. The point I have been trying to get across. Belittling, by its very nature, is offensive, and therefore not an interpretation. As you say however, this is going nowhere, I hope the OP has everything required, this forum is designed to help, but I will stand fast on certain issues.

Back