What's your least favourite thing about brewing?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaning up, bottling and constantly getting bollocked for 'being in the shed again!'

Cleaning the bottles.
Surprisingly I don't get bollocked for being in the shed. I think she prefers it when I am in the shed.
icon_cry.gif

It used to be bottling but 90% gets kegged now. So I would have to say finding enough uninterrupted time to brew. Family seem to put pay to more and more brew days of late.

I enjoy everything, including bottling, cleaning bottles and cleaning up!

I just like being in the brewing zone, away from everything else! Preparing and filling bottles is part of the process that leads to the final product. Embrace it! Rows of freshly capped bottles are a thing of great beauty and pride! And cleaning up recreates order and sets you up for next time, so relax and enjoy the time to yourself, being productive in a brewing sense.:thumb:

Just had a fiddle with my propane burner. The silver sleeve thing was completely covering the air vent, opened it out a bit and hey presto, nice blue flames with orange tips as described above.

I can now look forward to not dying when I next brew, and having survived, not having to clean tons of soot off my pot.

Which means to bring us back to the original post, I need a new thing to like least about brewing.

I've decided it's not knowing how to use my equipment properly.

Thanks to all above for the tip off.

It looks like you got it sorted. Slide the sleeve until "blue flame with orange tips" and tighten the retaining bolt. This will heat your water up a lot quicker than before, so you might have to adjust your timings.

Worst thing for me is flies. So I prefer brewing in winter when there isn't any about.
The waiting about when AG brewing isn't a problem. That's what homebrew is for, though by the end of a brew I'm often quite ******...

I enjoy everything, including bottling, cleaning bottles and cleaning up!

I just like being in the brewing zone, away from everything else! Preparing and filling bottles is part of the process that leads to the final product. Embrace it! Rows of freshly capped bottles are a thing of great beauty and pride! And cleaning up recreates order and sets you up for next time, so relax and enjoy the time to yourself, being productive in a brewing sense.:thumb:

I agree about bottling in general, I don't mind it at all (maybe star sanning but even then I generally only do 20odd at a time), and the sight of a crate full of freshly capped bottles is a wonder, a box of exciting anticipation as to how it will turn out.

Love it love it love it

I didn't know fruit flies existed until i started home brewing, i hate the little *******, last year i made a trap i got a few but there always seems to be on flying around on brew days.

I didn't know fruit flies existed until i started home brewing, i hate the little *******, last year i made a trap i got a few but there always seems to be one flying around on brew days.

So true!

Here's some tips of my own;

Move any potted plants.

Empty the bin.

Have nothing in the fruit bowl.

If a fruit fly can get into your brew. Then so can air. Fix that first and kill the flies after.

I hate bottling, I don't mind the filling but the cleaning and rinsing drives me insane. Could be my ocd does not help.

As a wine maker rather than a beer brewer, the only thing that bugs me is the initial smell in the fermenter. Its OK when its under way and in DJ's but there is no mistaking that initial pong!

I've gotta be honest I'm like clibit. I love all of it. Just being there being creative making something (measuring grain, mashing, boiling, bottling) is all good as far as I am concerned.

The thing I don't like is the fact that (currently) my day job gets in the way of me brewing more.

As a wine maker rather than a beer brewer, the only thing that bugs me is the initial smell in the fermenter. Its OK when its under way and in DJ's but there is no mistaking that initial pong!

Id love to make elderflower strawberry wine. Could you message me how to make that please. Sounds refreshing

Sharing one of your finest brews with a mate and they say "yeah it's fine - but I'm not much of a beer drinker anyway" Grrrrrrr ......

That reminds me of when I took 7 different beers I'd made into work. Most people were really complimentary (either politely or genuinely) except one bloke who tried my cascade/centennial pale (the best beer I've made imo) and said, after trying all the others that it 'tasted like i expect home brew to taste'.

what a tool.

Back