Rookie mistake!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brightonnik

Reaction score
Couple of questions.
I started bottling my Pilsner that I have lovingly guided through its various fermentation stages, I was doing this at work (I work as a chef so my kitchen at work is where all my brewing takes place) when the thought hit me that I had everything apart from my caps! I managed to get 9 litres worth into bottles that we use for water which have a rubber seal. The rest I put into bottles with lots of cling film over the top.
So my question is will my beer with the cling film be OK to just pop the lids on tomorrow? Also the beer in the water bottles are clear bottles, will this be a problem?
Thanks.

Clear plastic isn't ideal as light can degrade the hop oils 'skunking' your beer. They may be OK of you store them in the dark.

Are the plastic bottles from carbonated drinks. If not they probably won't be strong enough to withstand the pressure from carbonation.

assuming the cling film was sanitised you would be unlucky if something went wrong..
the water bottles might not be rated for pressure ....which could be a problem

re the clear bottles ..store them somewhere dark...

good luck

Sorry I should've mentioned. The clear bottles are glass. I do have them in the dark. Would I be better transferring them into their intended vessel tomorrow?

Same as what Niman said, but the most important thing is to ensure that all the bottles you are using long term, whether PET or glass, are intended for sparkling/fizzy liquids, and not still liquids.
Still table water bottles, if that is what you are using, may not be suitable.

The rest I put into bottles with lots of cling film over the top.
So my question is will my beer with the cling film be OK to just pop the lids on tomorrow? Also the beer in the water bottles are clear bottles, will this be a problem?
Thanks.

I reckon you'd be hugely unlucky if your cling-filmed bottles had a problem, whether your cling film was sanitised or not.
You suggest you'll transfer the beer from the clear glass bottles into your "intended vessel".
No rush at all - from what you say your clear glass containers are in the dark ,so they'll be fine (even in the light, I' sure any change will be pretty slow - although direct sunlight ain't a good idea!)

Same as what Niman said, but the most important thing is to ensure that all the bottles you are using long term, whether PET or glass, are intended for sparkling/fizzy liquids, and not still liquids.
Still table water bottles, if that is what you are using, may not be suitable.

The last kit brew I did I put in Tesco's 2L still water bottles and they carbonated very well. No different than the 500ml PET bottles. Also used the water in the bottles for the brew. Think they were about 12p a bottle :thumb: Only trouble is drinking 2 liters of beer at a time. Usually open them with friends.

The last kit brew I did I put in Tesco's 2L still water bottles and they carbonated very well. No different than the 500ml PET bottles. Also used the water in the bottles for the brew. Think they were about 12p a bottle :thumb: Only trouble is drinking 2 liters of beer at a time. Usually open them with friends.
I use 2 litre PET water bottles too, but not the still water bottles :-o, I use the 'fizzy' ones. They are about 17p a time :thumb:. I have found they can be used about 3 or 4 times then I chuck em out.
And I use a one litre serving jug, reseal the bottle and its good to keep for a few days.
I don't bother with bottled water, my tap water is fine for brewing.

Latest posts

Back