My First AG - Stove Top

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rory_way

Reaction score
Hello all,

I did my first brew on my stove a few days ago, English Pale Ale. The brewing went well, apart from the complaints from my Fiancee about the smell in the house.

HOWEVER I rather stupidly used a new heater (the type you stick into the fermenter) and didn't check what it was heating to. I thought I read it was set to 20C...nope turns out 24! I didn't realise till about 18 hrs after it started. It was definitely fermenting on overdrive. Needless to say I quickly turned it down and now it's at 20. A bit late I think though as it seems fermentation has basically stopped. Ah well. fingers crossed I haven't completely ruined the batch!

Almost certainly won't be ruined. Might have some esters or alcohol heat. Out of curiosity, what sort of yeast was it? Some are more forgiving than others.

Glad to hear it. I used Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast. Looking at the pack it says temp range it looks like I'll be ok. We'll see on taste!

Latest posts

Back