What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I checked the brew and came up with this result:

OG 1.034
FG 1.004
ABV 3.9%

The sample I took out to get the FG tasted just fine for this particular stage of the brew so ... :thumb: :thumb:

I syphoned it off into the King Keg, added 90 grams of Brewing Sugar and it is now carbonating in the fridge at 20 degrees.

There was a lovely All Spice aroma when I opened up the FV but there was no discernible taste of All Spice when I drank the sample. Weird.

Looking forward to Christmas! :thumb: :thumb:

PS

We finished the last of our 10p Pumpkins on Friday. Cut in half, de-seeded, filled with chilli beef, topped off with cheese and then roasted for 45 minutes in a hot oven. Very tasty. :thumb:

Are you sure your not Jamie Oliver in disguise Dutto? 😉

Pumpkin beer....inspired by Dutto I knocked up a pumpkin beer last Saturday. Checked it tonight and it's at 1008 giving me 4.6%,nice spice and cake aroma with quite a boozy cake taste, a bronze colour in the test tube but clear. I'll give it a few more days then bottle it.

Cheers

Clint

Dry Hopped my 80IBU English IPA with Wakatu. Yeah i know but its meant to be similar and needed using up. Also threw in the Hallertauu pellets. Sample tasted amazing. Will definitely be trying to up the IBU's when i try the Punk IPA recipe out this week.

I took the Pumpkin Beer out of the fridge today and moved it to finish off carbonating in the conservatory for a week.

The reason? So that I could try out my new boiler/gas-ring combination by brewing a Fulstows Marsh Mild AG Kit.

I started at 2.10pm and finished at 5.30pm, but cheated by leaving the clean-up until tomorrow! :whistle: :whistle:

I'm glad to report that there were no major accidents and very little mopping up to do!

It was at best 6 degrees under the lean-to throughout the afternoon but the gas ring heated up the wort fairly quickly (I forgot to time it!) and gave an excellent rolling boil.

The final result had an OG of 1.036 which should give me an ABV of about 3.5%; which, for me, is an ideal ABV for a Mild Ale.

Happy Days, apart from tomorrows clean-up work! :oops: :oops:

Fill me in on the method please? :)
Later today will be doing an English IPA.

Do you bittering addition as normal, then put your wort into your cube/FV. Wait till the wort cools to below 80C (about 20-30mins) then add a 0min addition then seal your cube (this is what I did). Obviously you only have two additions with this method 60min and 0min but I think @JFB said something about adding an addition but no chill means you have to count it 20 miins earlier (eg if you put a 1min addition in it's really a 21min addition)

Do you bittering addition as normal, then put your wort into your cube/FV. Wait till the wort cools to below 80C (about 20-30mins) then add a 0min addition then seal your cube (this is what I did). Obviously you only have two additions with this method 60min and 0min but I think @JFB said something about adding an addition but no chill means you have to count it 20 miins earlier (eg if you put a 1min addition in it's really a 21min addition)

Is that right? If you add the hops below 80c you'll not extract any bittering where as you would if you done a 20 min addition. It'd make sense if you added the hops as soon as you turned off the heat as it'd take a good 20 mins to get below 80c.

Is that right? If you add the hops below 80c you'll not extract any bittering where as you would if you done a 20 min addition. It'd make sense if you added the hops as soon as you turned off the heat as it'd take a good 20 mins to get below 80c.

I think your right. Perhaps I misread what JFB meant/wrote. I didnt try that bit of his method. Only the adding a 0 min addition after waiting for the wort to cool to below 80C (which of course doesnt extract any bittering) But just to clarify I didnt mean to say that the 20min addition wouldn't add any bitttering only that you need to recalculate the addition times for no chill

I mess around loads with late hop additions to be honest. But as a general rule..
I bitter @ 40 min, 20-10 min additions I FWH, 10 min additions I whirlpool at 0 min then drain wort into the cube wait about 20 mins until its below 80 then add 0 min additions.
Then of course dry hop as normal
If i'm following a recipe I use the total amount of hops but play about with at what time I add them depending on my mood.
Say if I was making a porter which just had a bittering addition @ 60 min and a 10 min addition, id bitter normal @ 40 min then split the 10 min between FWH and in the cube at 80c
This method has no scientific backing its just how I play with the hops, it works fine for me:thumb:

Fill me in on the method please? :)
Later today will be doing an English IPA.

I would take a good look at @MyQul 's no chill method also. I'm making a original punk ipa next week which is quite hopy and I'm going all out with his method:thumb:

I would take a good look at @MyQul 's no chill method also. I'm making a original punk ipa next week which is quite hopy and I'm going all out with his method:thumb:

Although the 'micro boil' method can take a little extra time. It's good in that you can mimic a non-no chill hop schedule exactly

I mess around loads with late hop additions to be honest. But as a general rule..
I bitter @ 40 min, 20-10 min additions I FWH, 10 min additions I whirlpool at 0 min then drain wort into the cube wait about 20 mins until its below 80 then add 0 min additions.
Then of course dry hop as normal
If i'm following a recipe I use the total amount of hops but play about with at what time I add them depending on my mood.
Say if I was making a porter which just had a bittering addition @ 60 min and a 10 min addition, id bitter normal @ 40 min then split the 10 min between FWH and in the cube at 80c
This method has no scientific backing its just how I play with the hops, it works fine for me:thumb:

Kind of the same with me. I used to be strict with no 20 minute addions but one time I added one and, of course it added more bittering but it also had a layer of taste that was a tad different. So now I add a small bit.
Once flame out happens, I use a plate chiller. I did some pipe work and put a valve on the cold water in port right on the chiller. So I turn on the water and the whole batch will drop to 80 in less than a minute. Then I add my 0 minute. It works well since you want to whirlpool for 20 to 30 minutes and this is great for the 0 minute addition to release its goodies.

Made a Czech-style Pilsner today. Same recipe I have used before, but trying a new yeast - WLP802 Czech Budejovice Lager.
Hit an OG of 1.052 - a little higher than expected, but not too far out.

Today's 25L recipe was a bit of GW's scary looking Mash schedule of 5.66kg Pale and 0.98kg Crystal and the GH more sedate 23L Ruby Mild schedule with 4.5kg Pale and then another 425g split between Crystal, Choc & TW.

Used Progress instead of Fuggles and used up the last of a bag of Admiral at the start to give a hop schedule of 60m - 5g A, 15g EKG and 16g Progress; then another 15g EKG and 16g Progress @ 15mins.

This gave reasonable looking numbers for IBU at around 32 and also got SRM at 21. Used the Danstar ESB yeast for the first time, rehydrating at just under 35 and pitching quite high at around 27C

Stuck a can of Brewferm Diablo in the fermenter, swapped out the yeast for mangrove jacks m41 Belgian ale yeast and ramped up the fridge to 24 degrees. Brewed long to 11 litres with an added tin of syrup to keep the abv correct.

Back