What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today was a chocolate maple porter again from Brooklyn brew shop book, all went smoothly for a change, 4th biab attempt and first 1 with no incidents.

Great stuff, mate!:thumb:

BIAB is pretty bloody hard to get right and getting any AG anywhere near right on a mere fourth attempt is not bad at all. I speak from the experience of the basically incompetent, of course! :lol:

Great stuff, mate!:thumb:

BIAB is pretty bloody hard to get right and getting any AG anywhere near right on a mere fourth attempt is not bad at all. I speak from the experience of the basically incompetent, of course! :lol:

Hopefully I haven't spoke to soon and it's actually drinkable, we will see. Lol

Today I started a Coopers Lager with a 970g of syrup as the extra fermentable and the addition of 50g of Fuggles Pellets (mainly to get rid of them) and pitched Youngs Lager Yeast in at 21 degrees.

The OG was 1.042 so I don't expect a high ABV lager at the end of the process.

I intend to ferment it out for two weeks at 21 degrees, rack it into a second FV to remove the hops and trub and then lager it at 10 degrees for about 12 weeks before bottling.

It should then be okay in time for Christmas. :thumb: :thumb:

Today I started a Coopers Lager with a 970g of syrup as the extra fermentable and the addition of 50g of Fuggles Pellets (mainly to get rid of them) and pitched Youngs Lager Yeast in at 21 degrees.

The OG was 1.042 so I don't expect a high ABV lager at the end of the process.

I intend to ferment it out for two weeks at 21 degrees, rack it into a second FV to remove the hops and trub and then lager it at 10 degrees for about 12 weeks before bottling.

It should then be okay in time for Christmas. :thumb: :thumb:

Is the lager yeast going to be fine at that temp?

Just done a 5 litre extract blackberry wheat beer. So many blackberries to use sooooo an experiment:mrgreen:
Will add blackberries on day three for four days. Lovely smell whilst on the boil, nice light straw colour in the trial jar.OG 1.044,should finish around 1.006 or thereabouts, giving 5% ish:smile:

Chub, nice!!! Sounds like it might be worth a plane ticket just to drink that!!!

Is the lager yeast going to be fine at that temp?

The Youngs site gives up to 20 degrees ...

*****************************/catal.../beer/youngs-lager-yeast-sachet-5g-517-detail

... but in this weather I decided to pitch at 21 degrees and look forward to the "more intense nose of hops, malt and spices". :thumb:

I live in hope! :whistle:

PS

Checked this evening and spent fifteen minutes listening to the "glub glub" coming from the fridge! YAY!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Last edited:
Today I started a Muntons Gold IPA and pitched the yeast at 22 degrees.

Bugger! Just realised that I didn't get an OG! :doh:

I intend to ferment it out for two weeks at whatever temperature I get in the garage and then bottle it in two weeks time before we leave for France.

With a LOT of luck, at the beginning of December I should return to a shelf full of Muntons Gold IPA in flip-top bottles all ready to be drunk. :thumb: :thumb:

As usual, I live more in hope than expectation! :whistle: :whistle:

Today I brewed a Summer Glow extract kit. Pit of a pain with only a 5.7l stockpot but I almost hit my OG, although I forgot to stir it before taking the measurement. My flat now has a lovely brewery smell to it :lol:

This should keep me going for a while, I bottled 10l of a brupaks munich dunkel a couple of days ago, I've got 41 bottles of a blonde ale extract kit that should be ready to sample next week and about 15 bottles of a brewferm triple that has been conditioning for a couple of months now.

Keeping up with my newbie sheep mentality I followed the crowd last night by making my third kit a coopers stout with some treacle and brown sugar as well as DME. It's gone off like a train and smells great :)
Breaking away from the crowd I also put on a Brewferm Ambiorix which is also motoring along nicely. Plan is to get these into bottles before we go away in two weeks time and get them conditioning while we're on holiday.
Putting a Brewferm grand Cru, and an Abdij on before we go to ferment while we're away too!

I have been toying with idea of doing a Russian Imperial Stout, maybe using a Coopers Stout kit in addition to a full length AG brew.

Anyway, at last, I decided on a regular sort of a stout, with no kit addition. It's a 6kg grain bill with Crystal, Chocolate, Roast Barley and Carafa II.

25L in the FV and I'm going to call it a Soviet Stout, for obvious reasons.

Just done another CHINOOK SMASH (only 10L) but my numbers are way out. Only ended up with 8 litres and expecting 10 and the OG is way off. Having said that, the last lot tasted great. This AG Mularky is a tough mistress!! In some ways I don't care, so long as the beer tastes good, but it would be great to get things bang on.

Just done another CHINOOK SMASH (only 10L) but my numbers are way out. Only ended up with 8 litres and expecting 10 and the OG is way off. Having said that, the last lot tasted great. This AG Mularky is a tough mistress!! In some ways I don't care, so long as the beer tastes good, but it would be great to get things bang on.

Have you thought of adding a 10L brew to a one can kit (Coopers are the ones for me)? It will give you a pretty good full length brew of a bit less quality than an AG, but I was/am happy enough with the results and it takes a lot of the variability out of it.

Have you thought of adding a 10L brew to a one can kit (Coopers are the ones for me)? It will give you a pretty good full length brew of a bit less quality than an AG, but I was/am happy enough with the results and it takes a lot of the variability out of it.
Good shout

Have a (my take) Abbey on the boil at present. Just bottled up a wheat beer as well
phewwwwwwwww:lol:

Latest posts

Back