What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Belgian IPA.

Pilsner 4.76kg
Wheat malt 340g
Vienna 340g
Munich 340g

Columbus 30g 60 mins
Cascade 30g 30 mins
Columbus 16g 20 mins
Cascade 30g flameout

OG of 1062, expect to finish around 1008 so probably 7.1% after bottling.

Big pitch of 3rd generation WLP550 taken from a Belgian Golden Strong ale bottled on Friday night.

I've done this recipe before with WLP530 and it was outstanding. Looking forward to seeing how the different yeast affects the finished product.

Brewed Gamma Ray
Came out at 1.052 not 1.054
No big deal really but just bugs me when I don't hit the points.

After much deliberation and perusal of my brewing books the GH Yorkshire bitter called out to me.....mash on! My new malt from malt miller smells incredible!!
All done...missed og of 1041 by 3 points but forgot to account for my current bhe in the calculator not too bothered as it should give a nice easy drinking bitter of around 3.4% with a fg of 1012 although my last brew with the ale yeast went down to 1008!

Last edited:
Brewed this on Saturday Afternoon, 1st brew of the new year :-
A sort-of Total Domination IPA clone, tweaked!

3.50kg Pale Ale Malt
250g Carahell
250g Dark Munich
250g Carapils
60 Minute Mash
60 Minute Boil
10g Galaxy @ 60 Mins
10g Crystal & 10g Amarillo 40 Mins
10g Crystal & 10g Amarillo 20 Mins
14g Crystal & 14g Amarillo 5 Mins

OG 1.045 (hit it bang on)
FG 1.010

Using Nottingham dry yeast, happily bubbling away within 12 hours of pitching the yeast.

Think this might be a good-un :cheers:

Just got the boil under way on an American brown ale.
Pretty much the same grain bill as the Mikkiller Jackie Brown recipe(couple of use up grain swaps).
Used my own hop bill though of magnum bittering and Willamette late additions.
Keeping it to a reasonable 41 ibu's . Mikkillers is 77 ibu's!
Wilko ale yeast.
Should come in around 6%

Brewed an American IPA today, using Greg Hughes recipe.

I had my first go at doing some water treatment, adding the appropriate amounts of gypsum and lactic acid to the water (thanks Strange Steve for the guide).

I miscalculated the sparge water volumes, so ended up with 12.5 l in the FV rather than my planned 11.5 l, leading to a slightly reduced OG of 1.056 (according to my new refractometer).

Chilled and pitched at 22C with a whole pack of CML US Pale Ale yeast and now in the brew fridge at 19C.

I've just bottled this after 2 weeks in the FV. Airlock activity started within half a day of pitching, but only seemed to last for 2 days. After a week, the SG had only fallen to 1.025, so upped the temperature of the brewfridge to 21°C for a couple of days, but to no avail. By my calculations that makes the beer 4.1% rather than the predicted 6.2%. I have had a few brews recently that have fallen short of their predicted FG, I'm wondering if this be because of the CML yeast? Maybe I'll try Gervin in my next brew to compare.

I decided that this beer would be the ideal candidate to have a first go at dry hopping, so used 10g Citra and 10g Simcoe after 10 days. The sample I tried definitely had a more pronounced hop aroma than my previous IPA's, as a result and I could detect lime, grapefruit and mango hints. I found it perhaps a little overpowering, but I'm sure that will mellow while it conditions, I'm guessing 4-6 weeks before drinking. :raisedglass:

First ever brew day for me today!

I've got 40 pints of Woodfordes Norfolk Nog (from a kit) on the go.

I also went a little bit crazy and thought I'd make an experimental brew based on a Youtube video I watched for hopped Cider!

4.5 litres of apple juice
200g sugar
30g citra hops (from pellets)
Wine yeast
Yeast nutrient

It's green at the moment :laugh:

image.jpeg

Muntons connoisseur Wheat beer. First brew with the Inkbird I won :thumb1:loved it, set it 1/2 a degree either side of 21c and off it went and didn't even have to look at it, really impressed.

23L - 07/01/18 - 20/01/18 - 21c controlled
Wilko Gervin, pitched dry + 1tsp yeast nutrient
1Kg HBC light Brew Enhancer + 50g Muscavado sugar
40g North Downs steeped for 30 mins in just boiled water
25g UK Cascade 5 day dry hop
OG:1056 - FG:1006 - 6.7%
Bottled into 600ml bottles primed with 1tsp light brown caster sugar.

Tasted very nice in the trial jar, I'll try a first bottle in 2 weeks after 11 days in the warm and 2 days in the fridge.

One gallon Zombie Dust clone extract kit.

Tried the first bottle from the Pliny the Elder clone kit from the same supplier last night, which was superb. This one is all citra, 45g in one gallon and the dregs from the sample jar had an intense hop hit. There was no indication of the expected OG, but was surprised to only hit 1.054. Start to finish in just over two hours.

Brewed a dry stout today, tweaking the usual 70% Pale, 20% Flaked and 10% Roast Barley recipe by adding some Wheat Malt~ 300g and Chocolate Malt ~ 100g.. Did not need to stir the mash today as it ran well from the start. Efficiency lower because of this, so I now think a stir @ 30 mins is a good idea in the Grainfather. Seems to raise efficiency by as much as 5 percentage points, which is a lot!

So full recipe for 25L:

Maris Otter 3.6kg
Flaked Barley 1kg
Roast Barley 500g
Wheat 330g
Choc 100g

Pilgrim 39g @ first wort
Bramling Cross 20g @ 15m

Safale S 04

Bottled my Greg Hughes' Czech Pilsner. Ended up way below 1010, probably because I used MJ instead of a liquid yeast. Oh well, better than expected because the fermentation took place in "outside", where the temp swings between 0 and 10. *shrug* I thinks it's beer, and I know I'ma gonna drink it!

Attachments

• 20180121_174233_HDR.jpg
    20180121_174233_HDR.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 20180121_164853_HDR.jpg
    20180121_164853_HDR.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 80
4.5 litres of apple juice
200g sugar
30g citra hops (from pellets)
Wine yeast
Yeast nutrient

It's green at the moment :laugh:
Was that Big Secue? If so shame he's jacked it in again, though his intro gets me lit.
I've done a good few turbo ciders with wine yeast and they've not been what I was expecting. Lots of people said cider yeast really does make a huge difference.

Today I brewed another experimental wheat beer made with flour and I think that'll be the end of it even though the results have been lovely.

3 gallons:
600g wheat malt
600g plain flour
1.25kg of extra dark spraymalt
15g of coriander @ 5m
Zest of 3 lemons because it was all I had.
Hops: yes...
Yeast: Crossmyloof kristalweizen repitch.

Mashed the flour into cold water this time which worked really well - as it hit 60c it all thickened like a roux - got it to 65c, turned down the heat, went to do a few things, burnt it a bit - meh, no biggie.
Mashed in the wheat malt - into the oven which held it at just over 65c perfectly for an hour or so.
Sparge: Annoying. Tried to put it through a sieve with a BIAB folded over a few times and it clogged it so I strained out the grain through a sieve, then did the wort through a bag.
Then I couldn't be faffed and kept batch sparging the grain with cold water in a little saucepan. I still hit my predicted efficiency of 79% even with all the fannying about. 1051.

I put it into 3 demijohns and I'll do different dry hops with each. I bottled a gallon made with dme and real wheat malt dry hopped with citra and columbus and it tasted bloody grand. That should be ready to glug within a week.

Was that Big Secue? If so shame he's jacked it in again, though his intro gets me lit.
I've done a good few turbo ciders with wine yeast and they've not been what I was expecting. Lots of people said cider yeast really does make a huge difference.

Today I brewed another experimental wheat beer made with flour and I think that'll be the end of it even though the results have been lovely.

3 gallons:
600g wheat malt
600g plain flour
1.25kg of extra dark spraymalt
15g of coriander @ 5m
Zest of 3 lemons because it was all I had.
Hops: yes...
Yeast: Crossmyloof kristalweizen repitch.

Mashed the flour into cold water this time which worked really well - as it hit 60c it all thickened like a roux - got it to 65c, turned down the heat, went to do a few things, burnt it a bit - meh, no biggie.
Mashed in the wheat malt - into the oven which held it at just over 65c perfectly for an hour or so.
Sparge: Annoying. Tried to put it through a sieve with a BIAB folded over a few times and it clogged it so I strained out the grain through a sieve, then did the wort through a bag.
Then I couldn't be faffed and kept batch sparging the grain with cold water in a little saucepan. I still hit my predicted efficiency of 79% even with all the fannying about. 1051.

I put it into 3 demijohns and I'll do different dry hops with each. I bottled a gallon made with dme and real wheat malt dry hopped with citra and columbus and it tasted bloody grand. That should be ready to glug within a week.
Aye it was Big Secue that gave me the idea, I love watching his vids and it is a shame he's knocked it on the head.

Your wheat beer sounds really interesting, hope it turns out good for you mate.

Your wheat beer sounds really interesting, hope it turns out good for you mate.
Cheers. The one made with 50% flour is really good, but I think it needs more tang, that's why I'm doing the wheat mix. And I measured the coriander this time and it seems like lots compared to what I did before with guesswork so I'm hoping that'll give it a bit more oomph. I've just had to clean up the brew freezer. One of the airlocks got clogged and blew out, covering the roof of it and everything else in hoppy beery grime. But I've just rigged up my first every blowoff tube. Wooohoooo! Exciting it is.

"simply pale ale" tweaked. (1.45kg of sugars/BE and brwed short to 21)
OG1.052

how are you lot calculating your predicted FG?

how are you lot calculating your predicted FG?
Go on the average attenuation of the yeast, throw away the start so if you started at 1.052 and had a yeast that averages 75% attenuation 52 x .75 = 39, take that way from the 52 = 13 so you'd end up 1.013
Or just sub the attentuation / 100 from one and times that so 1 - 0.75 = 0.25, 0.25 * 52 = 13.

There's actually more to it because of the composition of the wort. Sugar will just brew out completely but the brew enhancer might have maltodextrin in it which won't brew out at all. Most brewing software will do all the thinking for you if you know the composition and yeast attenuation or type. I put kits in as liquid malt extract.

Latest posts

Back