I prefer homebrew!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HB IPA'S kick the balls of commercial ive found. as long as you drink them sooner than later i dont think any bought beer (unless in a pub) can match a freshly made one

HB IPA'S kick the balls of commercial ive found. as long as you drink them sooner than later i dont think any bought beer (unless in a pub) can match a freshly made one

I think you've just been buying the wrong beers, there are some outstanding commercial beers available, including IPAs.

I think you've just been buying the wrong beers, there are some outstanding commercial beers available, including IPAs.

apart from adnams ghost ship, give me some examples and ill give them a go..:thumb:

edit, I meant IPA homebrews IMO are better than commercial IPA's. should have made that cleaer

apart from adnams ghost ship, give me some examples and ill give them a go..:thumb:

edit, I meant IPA homebrews IMO are better than commercial IPA's. should have made that cleaer

There was a thread on commercial IPAs recently (see here).
But some to keep an eye out for are anything by Stone or Kernel, any of the Cloudwater DIPAs, Evil Twin Yang, Sixpoint Resin, Firestone Walker Double Jack or Wookey Jack.

I think all kits are cack compared to my all-grain. But then I would say that! Haven't done a kit for years (the last one was a deeply underwhelming Wherry). But.... anyone remember Kwoffit kits? I believe they were made by Itona products. Last time I had one was 2003ish. The bitter was great,but the lager was spectacular and easily on a par with top-notch commercial stuff, even with the obligatory 1Kg of added sugar and ale-brewing methods! My AG attempts at lager have fallen far,far short of that kit, so now I don't bother trying to do lager.

I think all kits are cack compared to my all-grain. But then I would say that! Haven't done a kit for years (the last one was a deeply underwhelming Wherry). But.... anyone remember Kwoffit kits? I believe they were made by Itona products. Last time I had one was 2003ish. The bitter was great,but the lager was spectacular and easily on a par with top-notch commercial stuff, even with the obligatory 1Kg of added sugar and ale-brewing methods! My AG attempts at lager have fallen far,far short of that kit, so now I don't bother trying to do lager.

I think it would be unfair to use the word 'cack' next to most youngs, the odd few of st peters and festival kits. After a good amount of conditioning time these beers can be better than some AG beers.
There's a taste test on YouTube of the wherry where the chap compares it to the commercial bottle. The kit came out nicer all round. And Tbh id have to agree. Maybe they've improved kits since you did them

BeerisGOD, the wherry I made a few years back was decidedly cack compared to my AG. Any kits which turn out better must be made by someone who really isn't ready to do AG if that is representative of the breed.

Like someone who brews Kwoffit kits 😂

Well I did say that I've never had success with AG lager so yes, those kits were great and a damn sight better than any other. But ale?? Nah if you know what you're doing kits can't cut it. I'd practise lager more but don't drink it these days. Unless you or anyone else knows if Kwoffits are still available and from where!

I find the more homebrew I make the less I like the produced stuff, be it wine or beer or cider.

Couldn't agree more mate. I only do kits but I do tweak them with various grains and they are all really tasty. I always ask my mates " would you be happy to pay for that in a pub " and invariably the answer is yes. Mind you they ain't gonna say it's ****e are they. It's free after all !
Anyway I'm really pleased with my home brew and some of the more fussy ones do tell me the brutal (honest? ) truth 😊

I tried a bottle of Robinson's Old Tom last night (I was taken in by the claim of 'world's best beer'). It was good, but I didn't enjoy it any more than my Coopers stout brewed very short with plenty of spraymalt.

I tried a bottle of Robinson's Old Tom last night (I was taken in by the claim of 'world's best beer'). It was good, but I didn't enjoy it any more than my Coopers stout brewed very short with plenty of spraymalt.

Every once in a while I try a bottle of something from the supermarket that I've heard very good things about. So far, I've invariably been left thinking "christ that was a waste of money". Bought beer is okay for folk who have yet to learn the basic life-skill of,er,making beer.

Every once in a while I try a bottle of something from the supermarket that I've heard very good things about. So far, I've invariably been left thinking "christ that was a waste of money". Bought beer is okay for folk who have yet to learn the basic life-skill of,er,making beer.

Yep homemade is the way to go,but there are a lot of good beers out there,even Marks and Spencer's beers are good,Adnams brew their Mosaic Pale Ale and sell Long White Cloud which is a belter of a beer

Ok,here's the other side of the coin,i bought this tonight and i have just opened it,no taste to speak of,certainly no "heavy on the hops" and as for "Lager that refreshes the body vigorous", wtf? I didnt buy lynx showerwash did i?
Rip off.

DSC_1127.jpg

DSC_1128.jpg

Latest posts

Back